Third Accuser Surfaces Alleging Underage Relationship With Elmo Puppeteer Chicago Tribune
A third man has surfaced alleging an underage relationship with former Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash, reports the Chicago Tribune.
The man, who is identified only as "John," filed a lawsuit today in U.S. District Court in Manhattan claiming he had sexual contact with Clash when he was 16, the story says. The alleged encounter took place in 2000.
The suit seeks $75,000 or more in damages. Clash's spokeswoman said he believes the lawsuit has no merit.
As previously reported, Clash resigned Nov. 20 from "Sesame Street" amid allegations of underage relationships.
“His resignation came the same day Cecil Singleton filed a claim seeking more than $5 million in damages from Clash. Singleton claims he met the then-32-year-old puppeteer in 1993 in a gay chat room when he was 15,” the report notes. “It added that on numerous occasions over a period of years Clash engaged in sexual activity with Singleton.”
The piece adds: “The newest allegation comes about two weeks after another man recanted his claims that Clash had sex with him when he was 16 years old. The man later said the relationship was consensual.”
Clash has acknowledged a relationship with the original accuser, the story reports, but has said they were both consenting adults at the time.