NRA Attacks Media in Wake of Sandy Hook Shootings, Calls for Arming All U.S. Schools NBC News
One week after the deadly shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., the CEO of the National Rifle Association today made the organization’s first public statement on the tragedy, NBC News reports.
In a speech disrupted by protesters holding a banner that read “NRA Killing Our Kids” and shouting that the gun rights organization has “blood on its hands,” NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre took a defiant stance, blaming the killings on the media and schools’ gun-free zones while calling for armed officers in all U.S. schools.
LaPierre “blamed violent video games and movies, the media, gun-free zones in schools and other factors,” the report says, adding that LaPierre “said that the students in Newtown might have been better protected had officials at Sandy Hook Elementary been armed. He said that putting a police officer in every single school in America might make schools safer.”
LaPierre called for Congress to immediately approve funding to put an officer in all U.S. schools. "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," he said.
“The NRA executive's statement was nothing short of defiant in the face of mounting discussion of the need for tighter restrictions on guns -- including renewing a ban on assault weapons -- in the wake of last week's shooting,” the piece reports.
LaPierre will appear Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” the report notes.