NBC, CNN Respond to GOP Concerns Over Hillary Clinton Projects THR
NBC and CNN both told the Republican National Committee that its concerns over the networks' Hillary Clinton projects are "premature," following the RNC's threat of a boycott, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
As previously reported, the RNC has threatened action against both NBC and CNN, which are both working on productions focused on Clinton. NBC reportedly has a Clinton miniseries in the works, while CNN is working on a documentary focused on the former first lady and Secretary of State.
RNC Chairman Reince Priebus sent letters to the networks warning that the group wouldn't partner with them on presidential debates during the 2016 election cycle unless they "pull the plug on recently announced documentary programs about former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton."
NBC responded with a "mildly worded" email, THR reports. In it, the network "even hinted the show might never air -- regardless of partisan threats -- since it has not yet been ordered into production," the story says.
"NBC Entertainment has many projects in development, and this particular miniseries -- which has nothing to do with the NBC News division -- is in the very early stages," the network said in the email, which was sent to THR.
The email adds: "The script has not been written nor has it been ordered into production. It would be premature to draw any conclusions or make any assumptions about it at this time."
Earlier Monday, Priebus revealed that he had written to NBC Entertainment and CNN requesting that they scrap their Clinton projects. In his letter to NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt, Priebus wrote: "As an American company, you have every right to air programming of your choice. But as American citizens, certainly you recognize why many are astounded at your actions, which appear to be a major network's thinly veiled attempt at putting a thumb on the scales of the 2016 presidential election."
CNN also responded Monday, with the cable news channel also calling the RNC's concerns "premature," THR reports.
The THR report adds: "Meanwhile, Priebus made an appearance on 'Hannity' on the Fox News Network, where he defended his decision to pressure CNN and NBC."
Priebus reportedly said on the program: "We have to control the referees we're bringing into our playground, and right now I can't trust two organizations that are willing to spend millions of their own dollars in promoting a candidate that they know is gearing up to run for president. If it's no big deal and it's just sort of this evenhanded review of Hillary Clinton, fine, then just wait two years and when she doesn't run for president, move forward with your documentary. Nothing is going to change. Hillary is going to be here for plenty of years for us to produce movies and documentaries about Hillary Clinton. That's all."