Disney Delays 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Sequel Reuters
The Walt Disney Co. announced Tuesday that it is delaying the release of "Pirates of the Caribbean 5," the next installment in the wildly successful Johnny Depp movie franchise, Reuters reports. The film was previously slated to open July 10, 2015.
"Disney's announcement gave no reason for the film's delay," the report notes, but it adds: "A person familiar with the project said studio executives did not think the script and other aspects of the film were ready for it to start production. No date was given for the film's release."
The timing of the announcement may hold a clue. "The delay on 'Pirates 5' comes a day after the studio said it would move up the release of another big-budget film, 'Ant-Man,' from October 2015 to July 31, 2015, three weeks after the Johnny Depp film was originally scheduled to be released," Reuters notes.
The superhero project "Ant-Man" comes from Marvel Comics, which has been a hit machine with "Iron Man" and other superheroes.
The report adds: "The four 'Pirates of the Caribbean' installments have generated more than $3.7 billion in worldwide ticket sales, according to the website Box Office Mojo."