RNC Takes Credit for Cancellation of Hillary Clinton TV Projects TheWrap
The Republican National Committee took the opportunity to do what some might consider gloating after news broke Monday that both CNN and NBC had pulled the plug on their planned projects focused on Hillary Clinton.
TheWrap.com reports that the RNC took partial credit for the cancellation of the two projects, and said it will consider allowing both networks to host its 2016 presidential debates.
As previously reported, NBC said Monday it would cancel its Hillary Clinton miniseries, which it had announced in July and was slated to feature Diane Lane in the starring role. Its announcement followed on the heels of CNN's cancellation of a documentary focused on Clinton.
The RNC had taken issue with both projects, and said it would ban the two TV outlets from Republican debates if the projects continued.
“This was only the first step in the Republican Party taking control of our debate process,” RNC spokeswoman Kirsten Kukowski said. "Now that CNN and NBC have canceled their Hillary Clinton infomercials, we will work on developing a new debate model that will address the timing, frequency, moderators and venues that will come in the next few months.”
CNN indicated its scrapping of the Clinton documentary had more to do with pressure from the Clinton camp, which it said led to the departure of director Charles Ferguson. But the RNC offered its own explanation.
Said Kukowski: “While CNN is not moving forward with its Hillary Clinton infomercial, it’s clearly not of their choosing but rather because the filmmaker quit in large part because of the RNC’s actions."