CBS Apologizes for '60 Minutes' Benghazi Report TVWeek
CBS has issued an apology for a report that aired on "60 Minutes" covering the Sept. 11, 2012, Benghazi attack. The apology represents a shift of position from earlier this week, when the network defended the accuracy of the report, as we reported previously.
"60 Minutes" correspondent Lara Logan appeared today on "CBS This Morning" to discuss the report, telling co-hosts Norah O'Donnell and Jeff Glor, "We take the vetting of sources and stories very seriously at '60 Minutes,' and we took it seriously in this case. But we were misled and we were wrong."
The controversy is focused on a source who appeared on "60 Minutes" under the pseudonym Morgan Jones, who in reality is Dylan Davies, a security contractor who talked about his alleged actions in Libya on the night of the attack. Media outlets cited discrepancies between Davies' account on "60 Minutes" and other versions of his story that were reported elsewhere.
Logan said today on "CBS This Morning," speaking of Davies: "What we now know is that he told the FBI a different story from what he told us. That’s when we realized that we no longer had confidence in our source, and that we were wrong to put him on air, and we apologize to our viewers."
Also among the problems with the "60 Minutes" report is the revelation that Davies has a book deal with Simon & Schuster, which is a CBS-owned company, and CBS failed to disclose the connection as part of the "60 Minutes" report.
Please click here to read the full press release from CBS, which includes a transcript of Logan's appearance on "CBS This Morning."
Below is a video of Logan's appearance today on "CBS This Morning."