Fox Halts Production on Naked Dating Show TheWrap
Fox pulled the plug on production of a reality project that has been controversial from the start. TheWrap.com reports that the network made the decision to hold off on its naked dating show just as the project was heading into production.
"Simon Andreae, Fox's executive vice president of alternative entertainment, was fast-tracking the still-unnamed pilot with producers A. Smith & Co. Productions, but the top brass at Fox has put it on hold, individuals with knowledge of the network's plans said," the story reports.
TheWrap adds: "With producers hired, casting completed and plans to build the set made, the project was reviewed earlier this week and a decision made to hold it pending new leadership as Fox Entertainment Chairman Kevin Reilly left in June and his replacement hasn't been announced."
Two sources offered different assessments of the situation, with one insider saying the project is dead while another said it's fate will be decided once Reilly's replacement is set. The network would not comment.
"Fox's version of what has become a hot idea in Hollywood would have had its naked participants date each other on a set in front of a studio audience. One of the insiders said the pilot description has 'overtones of a live sex show,'" the story reports.
The report adds: "VH1, the first to bring the concept to fruition in the United States, premieres 'Dating Naked' on July 17. In contrast to Fox's version, it places its contestants in exotic locales where they meet others of the opposite sex in the nude and then decide which one they'd like to continue seeing."