Garth Brooks Cancels His First Concerts in 13 Years, Despite Selling 400,000 Tickets -- Read the Reason He Backed Out CNN
Country superstar Garth Brooks, who has been planning his comeback tour after a 13-year break, has backed out of his scheduled concerts in the opening city on the tour, despite selling 400,000 tickets in advance, CNN reports.
The story reports: "The country star's promoter confirmed Tuesday [July 8, 2014] it was canceling "The Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event" in Dublin because the city council there would only approve three concerts -- not the five that Brooks wanted.
" 'No concerts will take place,' a statement from Aiken Promotions said. 'The ticket return process will be outlined tomorrow.' The promoter said 400,000 tickets had been sold. Brooks' name was on a statement given to the Irish media insisting he would do 'five shows or none at all.' "
The article adds: "The Dublin shows had been planned for Croke Park Stadium, a [soccer] arena that can hold more than 90,000 fans, on five consecutive nights during the last week of July.
"The city council approved Friday, Saturday and Sunday shows, but rejected licenses for Monday and Tuesday night concerts. The city noted the stadium was 'in a heavily populated residential area' and five nights of Garth Brooks would be 'an over intensification of use of the stadium.' "
The article also reports: "The city promised residents it would limit the number of special events to three each year when the stadium was renovated several years ago. It already hosted three concerts in May, the council's statement said."
"Brooks was the biggest-selling solo recording act ever when he left the road and studio behind to concentrate on raising his three daughters 13 years ago," the story notes, adding, "Fans have only seen him perform since then at a few benefit concerts and a weekend residency in Las Vegas."