‘Mythbusters’ Stars Explain What Went Wrong in Cannonball Mishap, and What They Will Do About It

Dec 8, 2011  •  Post A Comment

The stars of Discovery’s "Mythbusters" talked about what went wrong with an experiment involving a cannon, and said they plan to deliver an in-person apology to the families whose homes were damaged when a 30-pound cannonball went off course during the show’s filming, reports the Los Angeles Times’ Show Tracker blog.

The ill-fated experiment took place Tuesday, as previously reported. The cannonball was supposed to land harmlessly on a hill, but instead went off course and left huge holes in two private homes in Dublin, Calif.

Star Adam Savage told the Times that the cannon was aimed too high, and that he and co-star Jamie Hyneman "feel really lucky and fortunate that, after a nearly perfect safety record over eight years, that this mishap didn’t lead to anybody being injured."

Savage and Hyneman weren’t present for the experiment, which was conducted by colleagues Tory Belleci, Kari Byron and Grant Imahara, the piece says.

The production company will pay for property damages and any hotel charges incurred by the victims, the article adds.

Despite the accident, the episode with the cannon experiment will likely air in the spring, Savage said, according to the piece.

The article notes that the cannonball “flew 700 yards off course from a police firing range, bounced off a roof and ripped through another home in Dublin before settling in a nearby van.” The incident is still being investigated, the story adds.

A video report on the cannonball mishap can be seen here.

3 Comments

  1. I’m glad no one was hurt, and this shows what a class act the production company is.

  2. I too am glad no one was hurt.
    Yet this shows how stupid this stunt was and how ignorant and dangerous many of these shows can be.
    Respectfully, I would remove the “c” when calling this company a “class act.”

  3. Your an Idiot!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Comment

Email (will not be published)