Logo

TVBizWire

TVBIZWIRE
Nov 21, 2017
5:29 pm
Comment

Star of NBC’s ‘Chicago P.D.’ Was Investigated for ‘Inappropriate Behavior’ (Deadline)

NBC confirmed that the star of its drama series “Chicago P.D.” was the focus of an investigation after complaints about what the network calls “inappropriate behavior on set” surfaced in 2016, Deadline reports.

“‘Chicago P.D.’ lead Jason Beghe was investigated by NBC and Wolf Entertainment in 2016 for ‘inappropriate behavior’ when the actor faced complaints from several members of the cast and crew that some said constituted sexual harassment,” Deadline reports.

In a joint statement to Deadline today, NBC, Universal Television and Wolf Entertainment said: “When it was brought to our attention that there were concerns about inappropriate behavior on set, we promptly began an investigation in partnership with Human Resources and all parties involved. As a result of the investigation, we have already taken action, and it is a situation we continue to monitor very closely to ensure all of our employees feel safe and supported.”

Deadline reports that Beghe “has apparently consistently used highly aggressive and sexually suggestive language as well as intimidating postures and more, we have learned.”

The report quotes a statement today from Beghe in which he says: “I am deeply sorry for my behavior, which I know has been hurtful to my friends and colleagues. I have struggled with anger issues for some time, and over the past year, I have been working with a coach to help me learn how to mitigate my temper. It’s an ongoing process, and it has been a humbling one.”

TVBIZWIRE
Nov 21, 2017
5:14 pm
Comment

Fox Firms Up Winter Premiere Dates (TVWeek)

Fox moved closer today to having its winter premiere schedule locked down, with dates set for the new comedy “LA to Vegas,” which premieres Tuesday, Jan. 2, and the new medical drama “The Resident,” set to debut following the NFC Championship Game on Sunday, Jan. 21.

“The Resident” makes its time period premiere on Monday, Jan. 22.

The network also unveiled return dates for the rest of its winter lineup, with additional premiere dates and schedule details still to be announced.

As previously announced, the all-new, 10-episode second installment of “The X-Files” event series will debut on Wednesday, Jan. 3 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT), followed by the premiere of the new drama “9-1-1” (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). The new music competition series “The Four: Battle for Stardom” will premiere Thursday, Jan. 4 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT).

“Empire” (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) and “Star” (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) have their fall finales Dec. 13. “Gotham” (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) airs its fall finale on Dec. 7, followed by the season finale of “The Orville” (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” airs its winter finale on Dec. 12, with two all-new back-to-back episodes (9:00-9:30/9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT). “The Exorcist” (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) has its season finale on Dec. 15. “The Gifted” (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) airs its season finale Jan. 15.

Click here for details in today’s announcement.

FOX WINTER 2018 RECAP

(Times for All-New Episodes are ET/PT Except as Noted)

Monday, Jan. 1:

8:00-9:00 PM LUCIFER

9:00-10:00 PM THE GIFTED

Tuesdays, beginning Jan. 2:

8:00-9:00 PM LETHAL WEAPON

9:00-9:30 PM              LA TO VEGAS (Series Premiere)

9:30-10:00 PM            THE MICK (Time Period Premiere)

Wednesdays, beginning Jan. 3:

8:00-9:00 PM THE X-FILES (Series Premiere)

9:00-10:00 PM 9-1-1 (Series Premiere)

Thursdays, beginning Jan. 4:

8:00-10:00 PM THE FOUR: BATTLE FOR STARDOM (Series Premiere)

Fridays, beginning Jan. 5:

8:00-9:00 PM HELL’S KITCHEN

9:00-10:00 PM FOX encores

Sunday, Jan. 7:

7:30-8:00 PM              BOB’S BURGERS

8:00-8:30 PM THE SIMPSONS

8:30-9:00 PM              GHOSTED

9:00-9:30 PM FAMILY GUY

9:30-10:00 PM            THE LAST MAN ON EARTH

Monday, Jan. 15:

8:00-10:00 PM THE GIFTED (Two-Hour Season Finale)

Sunday, Jan. 21:

6:00 PM ET-CC         NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

10:00-11:00 PM ET THE RESIDENT (Special Premiere)

Mondays, beginning Jan. 22:

8:00-9:00 PM LUCIFER

9:00-10:00 PM THE RESIDENT (Time Period Premiere)

TVBIZWIRE
Nov 21, 2017
5:00 pm
Comment

NBC Renews Comedy Series (Futon Critic, YouTube)

NBC confirmed today that it will bring back a critically acclaimed comedy series for a third season. The Futon Critic reports that the network renewed the Kristen Bell-Ted Danson series “The Good Place.”

Produced by Universal Television, Fremulon and 3 Arts Entertainment, “The Good Place” also stars William Jackson Harper, Jameela Jamil, Manny Jacinto and D’Arcy Carden. Michael Schur, David Miner, Morgan Sackett and Drew Goddard executive produce.

“Critics have raved about the first two seasons of ‘The Good Place,’ with New York Newsday calling it ‘TV’s most brazenly original comedy,’ Entertainment Weekly adding that the show is ‘a slice of comedy heaven’ and The New York Times says ‘”The Good Place” is a dream come true,'” the story reports.

The series has been averaging a 2.0 rating in adults 18-49 and 6.2 million total viewers this season in “live plus seven day” averages from Nielsen Media Research.

TVBIZWIRE
Nov 21, 2017
4:50 pm
Comment

CW Rolls Out Dates for Midseason Finales (TVWeek)

The CW today released the schedule for its upcoming midseason finales, with “Supergirl” wrapping up Monday, Dec. 4, followed by “The Flash” and “D.C.’s Legends of Tomorrow” on Tuesday, Dec. 5.

“Supernatural” and “Arrow” air their finales on Thursday, Dec. 7, and on Friday, Dec. 8, it’s a wrap for “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” and “Jane the Virgin.”

“Valor” closes out this part of its run on Monday, Dec. 11, with “Riverdale” and “Dynasty” wrapping things up on Wednesday, Dec. 13.

TVBIZWIRE
Nov 21, 2017
2:07 pm
Comment

CBS Fires Charlie Rose (TVWeek, Washington Post)

CBS News today fired TV veteran Charlie Rose, one day after allegations of sexual misconduct by Rose surfaced in a Washington Post story and hours after the scandal surrounding Rose was covered in a report early today on “CBS This Morning.”

In a letter to staffers, CBS News boss David Rhodes said: “A short time ago we terminated Charlie Rose’s employment with CBS News, effective immediately. This followed the revelation yesterday of extremely disturbing and intolerable behavior said to have revolved around his PBS program.”

The letter adds: “Despite Charlie’s important journalistic contribution to our news division, there is absolutely nothing more important, in this or any organization, than ensuring a safe, professional workplace — a supportive environment where people feel they can do their best work. We need to be such a place.”

CBS initially placed Rose, 75, on suspension while it examined the allegations, as we reported Monday. The Washington Post reported that eight women accused Rose of improprieties such as lewd phone calls, walking around naked in front of them and unwanted groping.

The allegations came from employees or women who aspired to work for Rose on his PBS interview show “Charlie Rose.”

CBS’s termination of Rose ends his five-year run with the network, which included co-hosting “CBS This Morning” and working as a correspondent on “60 Minutes.”

TVBIZWIRE
Nov 21, 2017
1:44 pm
Comment

PBS Scraps Long-Running Interview Series ‘Charlie Rose’ (TVWeek)

On the heels of CBS’s announcement today that it has fired veteran TV interviewer Charlie Rose, PBS announced that it will no longer distribute the long-running series “Charlie Rose.”

Rose, 75, has hosted the program since 1991. The move by PBS follows revelations in a Washington Post story published Monday in which eight women accused Rose of sexual improprieties.

PBS issued a statement today saying: “In light of yesterday’s revelations, PBS has terminated its relationship with Charlie Rose and canceled distribution of his programs. PBS expects all the producers we work with to provide a workplace where people feel safe and are treated with dignity and respect.”

TVBIZWIRE
Nov 21, 2017
1:11 pm
Comment

Women of ‘Saturday Night Live’ in Show of Support for Al Franken (TVWeek, Twitter, NBC News)

Female cast members and behind-the-scenes staffers from NBC’s “Saturday Night Live,” including the two original cast members Laraine Newman and Jane Curtin, signed a letter in support of Sen. Al Franken, who has come under fire over alleged sexual misbehavior.

Franken was involved with the sketch comedy show for 20 years — from its inception in 1975 until about 1995 — as a writer and performer. In all, 36 women who have been a part of the show from 1975 to the present signed the letter, which you can see below.

The women say in the letter: “What Al did was stupid and foolish, and we think it was appropriate for him to apologize to Ms. [Leeann] Tweeden, and to the public. In our experience, we know Al as a devoted and dedicated family man, a wonderful comedic performer, and an honorable public servant.”

The letter adds that “after years of working with him, we would like to acknowledge that not one of us ever experienced any inappropriate behavior; and mention our sincere appreciation that he treated each one of us with the utmost respect and regard.”

Below is the letter, posted to Twitter by NBC News

TVBIZWIRE
Nov 21, 2017
1:09 pm
Comment

Cable News Host Clocked Doing 119 mph in a 65 Zone (USA Today)

A TV host whose show is a staple of the Fox News Channel apparently has a bit of a lead foot. USA Today reports that Jeanine Pirro, who hosts “Justice with Judge Jeanine,” was ticketed Sunday in upstate New York after allegedly being clocked doing 119 in a 65 zone.

Pirro, a former district attorney, was pulled over in the town of Nichols, apparently on her way to Elmira, where she grew up.

“Pirro got on the line when a reporter called a relative’s home in Elmira on Monday afternoon, but she hung up when asked about the ticket,” the story reports.

Fox later issued a statement on her behalf, with Pirro saying: “I had been driving for hours to visit my ailing 89-year-old mom and didn’t realize how fast I was driving. I believe in the rule of law and I will pay the consequences.”

TVBIZWIRE
Nov 21, 2017
12:57 pm
Comment

What CBS Is Saying About the Charlie Rose Sexual Misconduct Allegations (TVWeek, CBS)

Following Monday’s suspension by CBS of longtime TV newsman Charlie Rose amid allegations of sexual misconduct, “CBS This Morning” reported on the situation on today’s installment of the program.

After the airing of the report, which you can see below, CBS today fired Rose.

Here’s the “CBS This Morning” clip, posted by CBS …

TVBIZWIRE
Nov 21, 2017
12:07 pm
Comment

Report: Harvey Weinstein Had His Brother, Bob Weinstein, Help With Payments to Accusers (New Yorker, Variety)

A report published today by The New Yorker details how Harvey Weinstein “used money from his brother and elaborate legal agreements to hide allegations of predation for decades,” according to the publication. The report focuses on secret settlements that enabled Harvey Weinstein to circumvent allegations of sexual assault and harassment.

“Ronan Farrow reports that Bob Weinstein, who has repeatedly said he was unaware of his brother’s alleged sexual misconduct, personally paid £250,000 — equivalent to about $600,000 today — to settle two claims against his brother in the 1990s during their time running Miramax,” Variety reports. “The money was supposed to be split between Harvey’s former assistant Zelda Perkins and another female employee in the U.K. alleging sexual harassment and assault.”

The New Yorker adds: “The funds came from Bob Weinstein’s personal bank account — a move that helped conceal the payment from executives at Miramax and its parent company, Disney, as well as from Harvey Weinstein’s spouse.”

Bob Weinstein acknowledged his role in the payout in an interview with The New Yorker, but said Harvey misled him about what the payout was for.

Bob Weinstein told The New Yorker: “Regarding that payment, I only know what Harvey told me, and basically what he said was he was fooling around with two women and they were asking for money. And he didn’t want his wife to find out, so he asked me if I could write a check, and so I did, but there was nothing to indicate any kind of sexual harassment.”

The story notes, however: “A former senior Miramax executive said that it was implausible that Bob Weinstein did not know about the nature of the allegations, which were reported to the company.”

Variety quotes Bob Weinstein’s attorney Bert Fields saying of the payout: “So far as Bob knew, it had nothing to do with misconduct or abuse of any kind.”

Fields added that Bob Weinstein “put up money to protect his brother” by keeping Harvey Weinstein’s wife from learning about his affair. “He was by no means encouraging or being complicit with anything else to do about sexual harassment,” Fields told Variety.

Older Articles