Logo

TVBizWire

TVBIZWIRE
Aug 18, 2017
4:29 pm
Comment

Actor Who Co-Starred in ’48 Hours,’ ‘Predator’ Dies (AP, TVWeek, YouTube)

An action-movie actor known for his co-starring roles in “Predator” and “48 Hours” has died. The AP reports that Sonny Landham died Thursday in a hospital in Lexington, Ky., of congestive heart failure. He was 76.

“Landham was a brawny, deep-voiced actor and stunt man who played a bit part in Walter Hill’s 1979 street-gang thriller ‘The Warriors’ before the director cast him as the trigger-happy criminal Billy Bear in 1982’s ’48 Hrs,'” the story reports. “Landham, who was part Cherokee and Seminole, was perhaps most known for playing the Native American tracker Billy Sole in the 1987 Arnold Schwarzenegger film ‘Predator.'”

Landham reportedly moved into the mainstream movie business after a stint in the porn industry in the 1970s. He went on to appear in about 50 movies, including “Southern Comfort” and “Poltergeist.”

Here’s a short video from YouTube about Landham’s health issues that includes footage of Landham earlier this year delivering his “Predator” catchphrase, “We are all gonna die” …

TVBIZWIRE
Aug 18, 2017
4:01 pm
Comment

Roman Polanski Court Bid Rejected (AP)

Even with his victim delivering an impassioned plea in court to end a four-decade-old sexual assault case against fugitive moviemaker Roman Polanski, a judge in Los Angeles today ruled against Polanski, effectively keeping him in exile from the U.S.

“Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Scott Gordon ruled that Polanski must return to California if he expects to resolve charges of sexually abusing a teen. The Oscar winner fled the country on the eve of sentencing in 1978,” the AP reports. “Gordon’s ruling follows a fervent request by Samantha Geimer to end a ’40-year sentence’ she says was imposed on both perpetrator and victim. It was issued on Polanski’s 84th birthday and blamed the director for the fact that the case was still alive.”

Gordon wrote in his ruling: “Her statement is dramatic evidence of the long-lasting and traumatic effect these crimes, and defendant’s refusal to obey court orders and appear for sentencing, is having on her life.”

The report notes: “Polanski pleaded guilty to having unlawful sex with Geimer when she was 13. She has said he drugged, raped and sodomized her.”

Geimer, now a longtime supporter of Polanski’s efforts to close the case, “told the judge that she was deeply disappointed Polanski had not been able to resolve the case with prosecutors and implored Gordon to ‘bring this matter to a close as an act of mercy to myself and my family,'” the report adds.

TVBIZWIRE
Aug 18, 2017
3:51 pm
Comment

Details Surface on Death of ‘Deadpool 2’ Stuntwoman (AP, TVWeek)

The first official account of the accident on the set of “Deadpool 2” in which stuntwoman Joi “SJ” Harris died was released by British Columbia’s workplace safety agency. As we reported previously, Harris was killed in a motorcycle crash during filming in Vancouver.

“The report says SJ Harris had been rehearsing a stunt that involved driving a motorcycle out the open doors of a building, across a concrete pad and down a ramp that had been built over three stairs before coming to a stop,” the AP reports. “It says during the first shooting of the scene, she continued driving beyond the planned stopping spot, continued down a second ramp and across the road.

“The motorcycle struck a concrete sidewalk curb and Harris was thrown off and propelled through a plate glass window.”

The report was released today by WorkSafeBC, and essentially confirms what eyewitnesses had said previously.

Harris, who hailed from Brooklyn, was a rookie stunt rider with experience in motorcycle road racing. A pioneer as an African American woman licensed as a motorcycle road racer, she had been racing professionally since 2014.

She was reportedly doubling for actress Zazie Beetz, who plays Domino in “Deadpool 2.”

TVBIZWIRE
Aug 18, 2017
3:49 pm
Comment

Rapper Arrested Over Alleged Instagram Video (NY Daily News, YouTube)

A popular rapper was arrested Thursday after authorities reportedly determined from an Instagram video that he had been doing some illegal dirt bike riding. The New York Daily News reports that Meek Mill was arrested Thursday night on reckless endangerment charges.

An attorney for Meek Mill says he was targeted by authorities because of his celebrity.

Authorities said the rapper, whose real name is Robert Rihmeek Williams, was seen in the Instagram clip riding without a helmet and popping wheelies in Inwood, in Nassau County, N.Y.

Williams, who apparently posted the dirt bike footage himself, also live-streamed video of his interaction with officers on Instagram after he was stopped by police, although that footage generally does not capture much of what was going on. (You can watch it below, for what it’s worth.)

The alleged dirt bike footage could not be found on Instagram, the report notes.

“His lawyer, Joseph Tacopina, said he was being singled out because of his celebrity,” the Daily News reports, quoting Tacopina saying: “That level of investigation is normally reserved for heinous crimes, not for petty offenses like doing a wheelie on the street where you’re endangering no one’s life but your own.”

The report adds: “Tacopina claims police saw his client doing the stunt Wednesday but did nothing at the time. Instead, they analyzed the video, then picked him up while he was attending a nearby children’s basketball clinic.”

TVBIZWIRE
Aug 18, 2017
2:21 pm
Comment

Fallout for Trump After Ouster of Steve Bannon? Now He Has Angered One of His Staunchest Media Allies (CNN)

The White House today announced the ouster of Steve Bannon following a tumultuous tenure as chief strategist, with observers suggesting Bannon’s firing will turn Breitbart News against Trump.

Breitbart, formerly headed by Bannon, has been one of Trump’s most steadfast media allies.

“Bannon, his allies and the site’s staffers have not been subtle about what is likely to happen now,” CNN reports. “Joel Pollak, a senior editor-at-large at Breitbart, tweeted ‘#WAR,’ a reference to the site’s early days and the mission statement of its founder, Andrew Breitbart.”

The report cites a source who recently spoke with Bannon saying the now-former White House chief strategist will not remain quiet.

CNN quotes the source saying: “It will be Bannon the barbarian. He’s not going to go out peacefully.”

The report adds: “Following news of Bannon’s exit, Breitbart started to prepare stories critical of people in the Trump White House, a person at the website told CNN. It’s most likely the site will not — for now at least — directly attack the president, but will focus its fire on people in Trump’s circle who had clashed with Bannon, or who are viewed as Democrats or ‘globalists.'”

Bannon reportedly returned to Breitbart as executive chairman of Breitbart News just hours after his exit from the White House.

TVBIZWIRE
Aug 18, 2017
2:17 pm
Comment

Fox Chief Blasts Trump (TVWeek, NY Times)

The CEO of Fox News parent company 21st Century Fox rebuked Donald Trump over his response to the deadly violence at a white nationalist rally last weekend in Charlottesville, Va.

In an email addressed to “friends” and obtained by media outlets, James Murdoch wrote: “What we watched this last week in Charlottesville and the reaction to it by the President of the United States concern all of us as Americans and free people.”

Murdoch also wrote: “The presence of hate in our society was appallingly laid bare as we watched swastikas brandished on the streets of Charlottesville and acts of brutal terrorism and violence perpetrated by a racist mob. I can’t even believe I have to write this: standing up to Nazis is essential; there are no good Nazis. Or Klansmen, or terrorists. Democrats, Republicans, and others must all agree on this, and it compromises nothing for them to do so.”

Murdoch is the son of media mogul Rupert Murdoch, who remains an informal adviser to Trump. The New York Times notes that the elder Murdoch, an outspoken conservative, recently dined with Trump in the White House residence.

James Murdoch’s email adds that he and his wife, Kathryn, will be donating $1 million to the Anti-Defamation League, and encourages others to donate as well.

The full text of the email can be read by clicking here.

TVBIZWIRE
Aug 18, 2017
2:09 pm
Comment

Talent Agent Mysteriously Disappears (NY Post)

A search is under way for a talent agent who disappeared from his home one day after returning from vacation. The New York Post reports that Manhattan agent Mark Schlegel disappeared from his home in Oradell, N.J., over the weekend.

His disappearance happened Sunday, one day after he and his wife, Chris, returned from a trip to Scotland in celebration of their 33rd wedding anniversary.

He was last seen around 3:30 p.m. Sunday. He reportedly left home without his wallet, ID or phone.

Schlegel, a father of two grown children, has reportedly worked for Cornerstone Talent Agency since 2002. Among his clients are Brandon Flynn of “13 Reasons Why” and Dominic Chianese of “The Sopranos.”

Mark Schlegel (Oradell, N.J., Police)

TVBIZWIRE
Aug 18, 2017
8:19 am
Comment

Big 4 Broadcast Networks Set Simulcast (TVWeek)

Plans are in place for a simulcast across ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox that will air Friday, Sept. 8, at 8 p.m. ET/PT. “EIF Presents: XQ Super School Live,” put on by the Entertainment Industry Foundation and XQ Institute, will air live in the Eastern time zone and on a tape-delayed basis on the West Coast.

Viola Davis and Julius Tennon will executive produce the one-hour program, aimed at inspiring people to rethink high school and exploring ways to get students prepared for the careers of the future.

In a statement, Davis and Tennon said: “We are excited to team up with EIF and XQ Institute to help bring awareness to the issue of high school education and ensure that our students are receiving an education that prepares them for the future. As executive producers of this live special, we are honored to work alongside some incredible names in the entertainment and education space.”

The program is executive produced by XQ, produced by Done + Dusted, and directed by Hamish Hamilton.

Please click here for additional details on the program and background on XQ Institute and the Entertainment Industry Foundation.

TVBIZWIRE
Aug 18, 2017
8:11 am
Comment

Jon Stewart Checks In on Charlottesville: ‘In the President’s Defense, He Is a Terrible Person’ (Twitter, NY Times, Salon)

Longtime “Daily Show” host Jon Stewart has been off the air for a while now, but he showed up Thursday night during a standup performance by Dave Chappelle at Radio City Music Hall in New York and offered quite a few choice words about Donald Trump and the recent Charlottesville headlines.

Stewart’s comments were essentially transcribed by New York Times culture reporter Sopan Deb, who posted the material on Twitter.

Other media outlets, including Salon.com, also picked up the story, quoting heavily from the Twitter posts.

Stewart is quoted saying of events in Charlottesville: “It wasn’t so much that there were Nazis. It was really the reaction by certain presidents.”

He added: “There are two sides? Motherfucker? Two sides. I believe they are called the Allied powers and the Axis powers, and we used to be with the Allied powers. This motherfucker signed a treaty that I don’t think any of us know about.”

Stewart also said: “In the president’s defense, he is a terrible person. … I don’t think everybody who likes him is a Nazi, but everybody who is a Nazi sure does seem to like him.”

Salon notes: “The comedian later addressed his short-lived Twitter feud with Trump where the then-reality star questioned Stewart’s name change away from  Jonathan Leibowitz. Stewart recounted that, at the time, he responded by asking Trump why he had changed his birth name from ‘Fuckface Von Clownstick.'”

Stewart is also quoted saying: “Basically it goes back to an old white supremacist trope, which is, ‘Jews amongst us.'” Referring to his beef with Trump over the name change, Stewart said Trump “was signaling to the underworld that Jews are amongst us.” Stewart added: “Honestly, if Jews controlled the media why wasn’t I on a network?”

Salon adds: “During his appearance, Stewart said Trump’s election wasn’t actually a surprise — the election of Barack Obama as president was. ‘That is where we rose above our history,’ he added.”

Below is some of the material tweeted by Sopan Deb

TVBIZWIRE
Aug 18, 2017
7:59 am
Comment

Another Kennedy Center Honoree Boycotts White House Reception (Washington Post)

Donald Trump appears to be having problems with the guest list for his White House reception in connection with the upcoming Kennedy Center Honors. The Washington Post reports that a second honoree has opted out of the reception.

Dancer, choreographer and actress Carmen de Lavallade indicated Thursday that although she plans to attend the Dec. 3 ceremony at the Kennedy Center, she’s not interested in a visit to the Trump White House.

“In light of the socially divisive and morally caustic narrative that our current leadership is choosing to engage in, and in keeping with the principles that I and so many others have fought for, I will be declining the invitation to attend the reception at the White House,” de Lavallade said in a written statement provided to The Post.

De Lavallade, 86, “was a principal guest performer with Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and was one of the first African Americans to dance for the Metropolitan Opera,” The Post reports. “Though her home is in New York, her work has taken her close to Charlottesville, the scene of a deadly white supremacist rally this weekend, which Trump has been criticized for failing to sufficiently condemn.”

De Lavallade’s White House boycott follows a similar move by TV writer and producer Norman Lear, another of this year’s five Kennedy Center honorees. The others are Gloria Estefan, LL Cool J and Lionel Richie.

Older Articles