In what’s shaping up as a “silly season” for TV talent show judges, another celebrity judge appears to be headed out the door. This time it’s Sharon Osbourne, who shook things up with a message indicating she’s leaving NBC’s “America’s Got Talent,” MTV.com reports.
Osbourne tweeted Tuesday: “My darling @HowardStern, money is not the reason I’m not returning to @nbcagt, it’s because …"
Osbourne, who has been on the show since 2007, left it at that, with the thought incomplete.
NBC execs apparently were caught by surprise. The story reports: “According to the Associated Press, NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt told reporters at the Television Critics Association gathering on Tuesday that there was no warning from ‘The Talk’ host and wife of rocker Ozzy Osbourne.”
Said Greenblatt: "This is coming out of context and sort of spontaneously, and we don’t even know what’s going on. And it’s probably much ado about nothing."
The report adds: “An unnamed person familiar with the production said Osbourne, 59, has a multi-year contract with the show, now in its seventh season.”
Osbourne’s post appeared to be a response to a tweet that appeared Monday on fellow judge Howard Stern’s account. That post said: "#AGT update: @HowardStern isn’t sure if he’ll do another season and says Sharon Osbourne may not come back unless she gets more money."
The story notes: “Stern joined the show this year, replacing departed CNN talk-show host Piers Morgan, joining a trio that includes old friends Osbourne and comedian Howie Mandel.”
The report adds: “Spokespeople for Osbourne and Stern did not comment on the controversy, while NBC entertainment president Paul Telegdy said that he was ‘thrilled’ with Stern’s work so far on the show and that the network would be ‘delighted’ if the radio host came back for a second season.