"The View" became the setting for an unusual live drama Thursday when host Barbara Walters refused to take a call on the air from George Zimmerman, the accused killer of Trayvon Martin, reports the New York Post.
As previously reported, Barbara Walters turned down an interview with Zimmerman, allegedly because he demanded to be put up by ABC News in a hotel for a month.
On "The View," Walters noted on the show that Zimmerman had earlier asked her for a condition that she couldn’t agree to, but she didn’t say what he had demanded. She then described him as "desperate for money."
Midway through the program, Zimmerman’s attorney called and offered to put him on the phone, which surprised Walters, according to the story.
“Forgive us,” she said, “we’re going to go to a commercial. … We will be back and who knows what we’re going to get.”
After the commercial break, Walters told the audience she wasn’t going to accept his call or put him on air.
Looking into the camera, Walters said, “Mr. Zimmerman if you could not do the interview yesterday, I don’t think we should do a quick one today. In the future, if you feel differently, we will consider it."
Here’s a clip of Walters talking on “The View” about her attempt to interview Zimmerman: