DirecTV and Viacom remain "pretty far apart" in negotiations for a new carriage deal for Viacom’s cable networks, according to DirecTV Chief Executive Mike White, reports Bloomberg. Meanwhile, Viacom has pulled some of its free content off its websites.
Viacom’s networks went dark for about 20 million DirecTV subscribers before midnight on Tuesday, as previously reported.
Despite his characterization of the impasse, White also told Bloomberg that the companies are still talking, and added, "We’re happy to do a fair deal." Bloomberg spoke with White at the Allen & Co. conference in Sun Valley, Idaho.
As the dispute continues, Viacom cut off access to some popular content that had been available for free online, EW.com’s Inside TV reports.
Viewers can’t watch full episodes of shows including "The Daily Show" and "SpongeBob," prompting DirecTV to issue a statement criticizing Viacom for "not only holding DirecTV customers hostage, but all online viewers as well,” according to the story.
Viacom said many of its episodes remain free online, but added that it removed some of them because they were only intended as marketing tools, the story says.