Actress Lindsay Lohan appears to be off the hook in a reported burglary earlier this month at a Hollywood Hills home where she was a houseguest, CBS News reports.
A memo from prosecutors says: "We do not have sufficient evidence to prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt," the story reports.
“Los Angeles police detectives presented a potential felony burglary case against the actress and two men after several items went missing when the three reportedly visited the Hollywood Hills home of a longtime acquaintance earlier this month,” the report notes. “The prosecution memo also noted that none of the missing items were found in Lohan’s possession, nor with the two men who were believed to be at the house on the day of the burglary.”
Sam Magid, who owns the home where the incident took place, reportedly told authorities that he does not want to pursue the case. He has been described as a friend of Lohan’s. The missing items most recently have been identified as keys, cash, sunglasses and a credit card holder.
In a statement Tuesday afternoon, Lohan’s spokesman Steve Honig said: "Lindsay is glad this matter has been cleared up so she can focus on her upcoming projects."
Police indicated they are continuing their investigation into the alleged theft.
Lohan remains on probation in connection with the 2011 theft of a $2,500 necklace from a Venice, Calif., jewelry store, and faces jail time if she is charged with another crime.
She also faces potential problems in connection with another case. The report notes: “Police in Santa Monica, Calif., continue to investigate a crash involving Lohan and her assistant on the Pacific Coast Highway earlier this year. Lohan was on her way to the set of the Lifetime film ‘Liz and Dick’ when she slammed into the back of a dump truck and had to be briefly hospitalized.”