Logo

TVBizWire

TVBIZWIRE
Apr 24, 2017
4:31 pm
Comment

Bill O’Reilly Offers Cryptic Comments on His Exit From Fox News (billoreilly.com)

Bill O’Reilly is talking about his exit from Fox News, which fired him last week after 21 years with the cable channel. But based on his initial comments, posted today on his billoreilly.com website, he still isn’t saying much.

In fact, his comments seem somewhat cryptic, with no less than two references to “stuff” that O’Reilly does not specify.

In a transcript of tonight’s “No Spin News” podcast posted on the website, O’Reilly says: “I am sad that I’m not on television anymore. I was very surprised how it all turned out. I can’t say a lot, because there’s much stuff going on right now.”

Whatever the “stuff” is — and O’Reilly puts the word “stuff” in italics here — he does not elaborate.

He then adds: “But I can tell you that I’m very confident the truth will come out, and when it does, I don’t know if you’re going to be surprised — but I think you’re going to be shaken, as I am. There’s a lot of stuff involved here.”

The rest of the podcast, which is being streamed for free this week before it reverts to a subscription model next week, is devoted mainly to headlines about Donald Trump, Barack Obama, the Ann Coulter Berkeley speech and the French elections, among other topics.

TVBIZWIRE
Apr 24, 2017
3:57 pm
Comment

Elton John Cancels Shows Due to Health Issue (AP, YouTube)

Singer and piano man extraordinaire Elton John has canceled more than a month’s worth of tour dates after contracting what the AP reports is “an unusual bacterial infection” while on tour in South America. The infection reportedly left John in intensive care for two nights.

“John is scrapping all upcoming April and May dates of ‘The Million Dollar Piano’ at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, as well as performance on May 6 in Bakersfield, California,” the AP reports. “The ‘Rocket Man’ and ‘Daniel’ singer says in a statement that he became ‘violently ill’ on a flight to the United Kingdom from Chile and ‘underwent immediate treatment’ at a hospital, where he was released on Saturday.”

John, 70, is expected to make a full recovery and may be back on stage as soon as June 3 in Twickenham, England.

TVBIZWIRE
Apr 24, 2017
3:44 pm
Comment

Noted Author Robert M. Pirsig Dead at 88 — He Penned One of the Defining Books of the 1970s (AP)

The author of a book that became an unexpected bestseller and virtually defined an era has died. The AP reports that Robert M. Pirsig, whose novel “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” became a million-selling classic after being rejected by more than 100 publishers, died today at his home in South Benwick, Maine.

Pirsig, 88, had been in failing health. His publisher, William Morrow, announced his death.

“‘Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance’ was published in 1974 and was based on a motorcycle trip Pirsig took in the late 1960s with his 12-year-old son, Chris,” the AP reports. “The book’s path to the best-seller list was long and unlikely. It began as an essay he wrote after he and Chris rode from Minnesota to the Dakotas and grew to a manuscript of hundreds of thousands of words. After the entire industry seemed to shun it, William Morrow took on the book, with editor James Landis writing at the time that he found it ‘brilliant beyond belief.'”

The report adds: “Pirsig’s book ideally suited a generation’s yearning for the open road, a quest for knowledge and skepticism of modern values, while also telling a personal story about a father and son relationship and the author’s struggles with schizophrenia. A world traveler and former philosophy student, Pirsig would blend his life and learning into what he called the Metaphysics of Quality.”

Pirsig later wrote a sequel, “Lila: An Inquiry Into Morals.”

“Chris was killed by a mugger in 1979 and later editions of ‘Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance’ would include an afterword about him,” the AP notes. “In 2006, the author told The Guardian that his son had not cared for the book.”

TVBIZWIRE
Apr 24, 2017
3:41 pm
Comment

Steve Harvey Doubles Down on Daytime Talk (Variety)

Steve Harvey’s new daytime talk show, which has been picked up in 95% of the U.S., has settled on an executive producer and a premiere date. Variety reports that the new show, “Steve,” will bow Sept. 5, with the NBC-owned stations and other top station groups on board.

Harvey already hosts the daytime talker “Steve Harvey,” which tapes in Chicago, Variety notes. The new show will tape in Los Angeles, and will be executive produced by daytime veteran Shane Farley.

“In November, Harvey set a sew deal with NBCUniversal and IMG to launch a syndicated daytime talk show that would give him a sizable ownership stake and control over the production,” Variety reports. “Harvey has spent five seasons as the host of an eponymous daytime talk show produced by Endemol Shine North America and distributed by NBCUniversal Domestic Television.”

The new show is also distributed by NBCUniversal.

Harvey is quoted in the story saying: “As I embark on this new adventure, I’m excited to explore everything Los Angeles has to offer for this new show. ‘Steve’ is going to be different than my current daytime show. The new location will allow me to welcome more celebrity guests and more importantly let me do what I enjoy doing best, being funny!”

TVBIZWIRE
Apr 24, 2017
1:33 pm
Comment

Another Fox News Host Defending Himself Against Allegations of Misbehavior (AP)

Following the ouster of Bill O’Reilly from Fox News, some of the spotlight has shifted to Fox News star Sean Hannity as allegations of misbehavior at the cable network continue to make headlines.

The AP reports that Hannity ripped into comments by Debbie Schlussel, who was a guest on Hannity’s Fox News show more than a decade ago. Schlussel said during an interview Friday with Oklahoma radio station KFAQ that Hannity repeatedly asked her to come to his hotel room, and that soon after she refused the invitation, she stopped appearing on his show.

Schlussel clarified today that she doesn’t believe Hannity’s behavior was sexual harassment. Nonetheless, the AP reports that Hannity has lashed out at Schlussel, calling her account “100% false and a complete fabrication.”

“KFAQ host Pat Campbell asked Schlussel if anyone at Fox News ever made her ‘uncomfortable’ or made ‘sexual advances.’ She responded by saying she declined Hannity’s repeated requests to come to his hotel with him while he was in Detroit for a broadcast of his show more than a decade ago,” the AP reports. “She said it was made clear to her after the program that she ‘wouldn’t be back on his show.’ She says she made two more appearances on Fox after that, one on Hannity’s show.”

The report adds that Schlussel “told The Associated Press on Monday that her description of the Detroit incident was true, but that the behavior didn’t rise to sexual harassment. She says she believes she was ‘blackballed’ from the channel by Hannity.”

Hannity has released a statement in which he calls Schlussel a “serial harasser who has been lying about me for well over a decade.”

TVBIZWIRE
Apr 24, 2017
1:23 pm
Comment

Bill O’Reilly Returns With ‘No Spin News’ Tonight (Billoreilly.com)

Bill O’Reilly is refusing to be silenced by a little thing like being fired from Fox News. The outspoken conservative cable star declared he’s back in action with a banner on billoreilly.com announcing a new installment of his “No Spin News” podcast will air tonight.

O’Reilly requires a premium membership for his Internet users to view the podcast under normal circumstances, but he’s seizing on the opportunity provided by his abrupt exit from FNC to drum up business for his online operation. The banner declares the the podcast will be available for free through Sunday, but beginning May 1 a premium membership will be required.

Tonight’s podcast will air at 7 p.m. ET, according to O’Reilly’s announcement.

TVBIZWIRE
Apr 24, 2017
1:01 pm
Comment

NBC Fast-Tracks Megyn Kelly’s Sunday Night Show (NY Post)

NBC News has its newest star on a fast track. The network now plans to put Megyn Kelly to work starting next month, with her Sunday night show expected to premiere in June, The New York Post’s Page Six reports, citing an NBC insider.

“Kelly had been expected to start in July after her Fox contract expired, but she was just released from her Fox deal two weeks ago,” The Post reports. “She will join Kate Snow as part of NBC News’ Sunday night programming.”

The report adds: “NBC News vet and former ‘Dateline’ executive producer David Corvo will executive produce Kelly’s Sunday show with another longtime NBC producer, Elizabeth Cole. NBC News Chairman Andy Lack flew to Russia earlier this month to meet with Vladimir Putin’s spokesman, sparking buzz that a Putin interview may launch Kelly’s show.”

Plans for Kelly’s other main assignment at NBC, a weekday morning show, apparently aren’t going as smoothly.

“We’re told NBC is still scrambling to find a staff and executive producer for the weekday morning show, which will debut in the fall,” The Post reports, citing another source saying: “It’s a very real problem. There’s no staff in place. They have no idea what they’re going to do with Megyn. Ideas range from talk show to studio audience to news show. It’s a problem.”

Another NBC insder offered a different take, saying: “Megyn’s morning show is almost entirely staffed — and it doesn’t air for another five months. They just haven’t announced anybody.”

TVBIZWIRE
Apr 24, 2017
12:51 pm
Comment

‘Seinfeld’ Veteran Jason Alexander Has a New Series (Deadline)

Jason Alexander, still best remembered for playing George on “Seinfeld,” has received a series order from the AT&T Audience Network for “Hit the Road,” his new comedy.

Deadline.com reports that the series, in which Alexander will star and executive produce with Primary Wave Entertainment, received an order for 10 half-hour episodes. Fabrik Entertainment, which is behind “Bosch,” will produce.

“Co-created by Alexander, Emmy-nominated comedy writer Peter Tilden and British screenwriter Dean Craig (‘Death at a Funeral,’ ‘Moonwalkers’), ‘Hit the Road’ is about the greatest family band you’ve never heard of — yet!,” Deadline notes. “This chaotically dysfunctional family of would-be rock/pop stars traverse the country in a cramped tour bus sacrificing privacy, comfort and dignity while in search of fame and fortune.”

Alexander plays Ken Swallow, patriarch of the Swallow family band.

TVBIZWIRE
Apr 24, 2017
12:47 pm
Comment

One of the Key Figures in the TV Quiz Show Scandals of the 1950s Dies at 95 (NY Times, YouTube)

A key player from a dark chapter in the early days of television — the quiz show scandals of the 1950s — has died. The New York Times reports that TV producer Albert Freedman died April 11 in Greenbrae, Calif.

Freedman, 95, reportedly died of heart failure.

Freedman famously rigged the competition on his NBC quiz show “Twenty-One,” including giving questions in advance to contestant Charles Van Doren in 1956 to ensure that he would defeat reigning champion Herbert Stempel. Van Doren was deemed at the time to be a more TV-friendly contestant.

After the fix was uncovered, the ensuing scandal tainted the young medium of television and Freedman was indicted for perjury.

Freedman later denied that quiz shows were fraudulent, saying in a statement to The New York Times that the shows were about “showmanship, spectacle and illusion.”

Perjury charges against Freedman were dropped after he admitted giving questions to contestants in advance.

Freedman was played by Hank Azaria in Robert Redford’s 1994 feature film “Quiz Show,” about the 1950s scandals.

Here’s a clip of Freedman from a few years ago in which he discusses how he helped prepare Van Doren for his appearances on the show and talks about the quiz shows’ role in popularizing television …

TVBIZWIRE
Apr 24, 2017
12:31 pm
Comment

Battle Over Ann Coulter Appearance Heads to Court Amid Threats of Disruptions (USA Today, Twitter, TVWeek)

A planned speaking engagement by outspoken conservative commentator Ann Coulter has been a pretty big headache already for the University of California, Berkeley, and now the legal dispute over the appearance is headed to court.

Coulter tweeted this morning that a lawsuit has been filed against the university demanding an appropriate and safe venue for her appearance, which is set for this Thursday. USA Today reports that the suit was filed by the Young America’s Foundation and the Berkeley College Republicans, who are seeking damages for constitutional rights violations after the university attempted to cancel the speech.

As we reported late last week, the university later reversed that decision and the speech was back on. In originally canceling the event, the university cited safety concerns.

“The UC Berkeley Police Department said they have received notice that groups that previously protested and fomented violence in Berkeley have planned to agitate again at Coulter’s speaking event,” USA Today reports. “UCPD wrote a letter to the attorney representing the Berkeley College Republicans and YAF, which supports the Coulter event, that said the university cannot protect Coulter and student supporters from anticipated violence as no campus venues could accommodate the security threats.”

Older Articles