Trayvon Martin Shooter Sues NBC

December 7, 2012  •  Post A Comment

George Zimmerman, who is accused of second-degree murder after shooting Florida teenager Trayvon Martin, has sued NBCUniversal for defamation, reports The New York Times’ Media Decoder.

Zimmerman alleges that reports that edited his voice on a 911 tape constituted defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress, the story says.

The suit has asked for a jury trial. In response, a spokeswoman for NBC Universal said, "We strongly disagree with the accusations made in the complaint. There was no intent to portray Mr. Zimmerman unfairly. We intend to vigorously defend our position in court.”

As previously reported, NBC apologized for a report about the Martin shooting that included some editing of a 911 call placed by Zimmerman. The editing made it sound as if Zimmerman was using racial profiling.

4 Comment

  1. How can you “strongly disagree with the accusations”, when you apologized for doing what you were accused of?

  2. I think a lot of people should be sued by Mr. Zimmerman once this is all over…

  3. NBC apologized for unintentional libel, but the suit is about actual malice. Two different things.

  4. Nice – don’t refer to him by name, just as a “shooter.”
    No attempt to prejudice there.

Your Commment

Email (will not be published)