"Federal investigators are in the midst of an active criminal investigation of disgraced former Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong," reports ABC News in what they say is an exclusive report.
Says the report, according to a "source, who agreed to speak on the condition that his name and position were not used because of the sensitivity of the matter, ‘Agents are actively investigating Armstrong for obstruction, witness tampering and intimidation.’ "
Interestingly, the articles notes: "The revelation comes in stark contrast to statements made by the U.S. Attorney for Southern California, Andre Birotte, who addressed his own criminal inquiry of Armstrong for the first time publicly on Tuesday. Birotte’s office spent nearly two years investigating Armstrong for crimes reportedly including drug distribution, fraud and conspiracy — only to suddenly drop the case on the Friday before the Super Bowl last year. … [Yesterday, Feb. 5, 2013, Birotte told reporters] ‘We made a decision on [the Lance Armstrong] case, I believe, a little over a year ago. Obviously we’ve been well-aware of the statements that have been made by Mr. Armstrong and other media reports. That has not changed my view at this time. Obviously, we’ll consider, we’ll continue to look at the situation, but that hasn’t changed our view as I stand here today.’ "
The ABC News report adds that its current source "said that Birotte is not in the loop on the current criminal inquiry, which is being run out of another office."
The ABC News story adds: "An email to an attorney for Armstrong was not immediately returned."