NBC Renews ‘Last Call With Carson Daly’ — Did Leaked Rumor About Alec Baldwin Jockeying for Late-Night Force the Network to Keep Daly Happy?

Apr 11, 2013  •  Post A Comment

NBC apparently still has room for Carson Daly on its schedule despite reports that the network is talking with "30 Rock" star Alec Baldwin about possibly taking over Daly’s time period, reports the Los Angeles Times’ Show Tracker.

The network said it will renew "Last Call," which airs at 1:35 a.m., for a 13th season, the story notes.

"Only cynics would assume that giving Daly the thumbs-up now has something to do with trying to smooth things over after the Baldwin thing leaked out. Because NBC clearly has no problem with seamlessly transitioning its late-night TV hosts. (Jay Leno, white courtesy phone please.)," the story notes.

The article also points out, "NBC has good reason to keep Daly happy: He happens to host its singing contest ‘The Voice,’ which is just about the only hit NBC has right now."

Another report says NBC was never negotiating with Baldwin, and that he and the network aren’t investigating the idea any longer, according to E! Online. The network was never close to a deal or an offer, the story adds.

The New York Times’ Bill Carter stood by his report earlier this week that Baldwin “is in the mix for a spot in NBC’s late-night lineup,” which we reported previously.

Carter reported Wednesday that the “Last Call” renewal “did not mean that talks between Mr. Baldwin and NBC had ended. Two network executives said the actor remained in the mix for some future role in NBC’s late-night programming, most likely in some form of interview format akin to his widely praised podcasts.”

Carter adds: “Mr. Baldwin has a deal to develop programming with NBC, and his success with the podcasts is what has generated the interest in a late-night role, an executive informed about the discussions with the actor said on Wednesday.”

Your Comment

Email (will not be published)