Will Seth MacFarlane Host the Oscars Again? Statement From the ‘Family Guy’ Creator Gives His Answer, His Reason … and an Odd Suggestion for a Replacement

May 21, 2013  •  Post A Comment

"Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane said he won’t return to host the Oscars for a second time, saying in a statement that he can’t make it work with his schedule, reports TVGuide.com.

"Traumatized critics exhale: I’m unable to do the Oscars again. Tried to make it work schedule-wise, but I need sleep. However, I highly recommend the job, as [producers Craig] Zadan and [Neil] Meron are two of the most talented producers in the business. My suggestion for host is Joaquin Phoenix," he said.

MacFarlane was a polarizing host, with some appreciating his humor and others offended by some of his jokes, such as the song "We Saw Your Boobs."

The report notes: “After it was announced in April that executive producers Zadan and Meron would be producing the show again, reports surfaced that they wanted MacFarlane to host a second time. This isn’t the first time that MacFarlane has turned down the job either. Two days after the Feb. 24 ceremony when he [was] asked if he would do it again, MacFarlane tweeted ‘no way.’"

MacFarlane’s schedule/sleep excuse appears to be legit, the report notes. Not only is he working on “Family Guy” and “American Dad!,” but MacFarlane is also executive-producing “Dads,” a new Fox comedy series, and producing a Fox reboot of Carl Sagan’s documentary series “Cosmos,” with 13 episodes set to air in 2014.

Phoenix’s actions in recent years make him an interesting name for MacFarlane to mention. Last October he declared the Academy Awards to be “bullshit” — even though he had his own best actor nomination for “The Master.” He later stepped back from that position and acknowledged that the awards have value for deserving filmmakers.

Phoenix previously got attention when he announced in late 2008 that he had retired from acting to become a rapper. That phase — which included a notorious “Letterman” appearance in early 2009 — turned out to be an apparent stunt surrounding the mockumentary “I’m Still Here,” released in 2010.

In case you missed it, here’s the classic Joaquin Phoenix appearance on "Late Show with David Letterman" in February 2009:

2 Comments

  1. Tom Bergeron should host it.
    Let me write it again. Tom Bergeron should host it.
    Good, quick wit to what’s happening and will keep the show moving and NOT make it about him.
    Tom Bergeron…got it? Good. Sign him.
    Peter Bright

  2. Justin Timberlake — end of discussion

Your Comment

Email (will not be published)