TVBizWire

TVBIZWIRE
Oct 31, 2014
1:23 pm
Comment

AMC Pulls the Plug on Two Original Projects (THR)

AMC has opted not to go forward with two original drama projects that have been in the pipeline at the cable channel. The Hollywood Reporter’s Live Feed reports that the channel is taking a pass on the pilots “Knifeman” and “Galyntine.”

In a statement, a spokesman for AMC said: “We have enormous admiration and appreciation for everyone associated with these projects. We are grateful to have ongoing relationships with several of these talented creators and look forward to working together again.”

Both projects were owned and produced by AMC, the report notes.

“For ‘Knifeman,’ it marks the end of the road for the project developed by Media Rights Capital in March 2012,” the article notes. “Both pilots were picked up at 2013 and developed during the same cycle.”

The pilot for “Knifeman,” set in London in the 18th century, was written by Rolin Jones, who also was executive producer along with Ron Fitzgerald, Josh Donnen and Robert Zotnowski.

“‘Galyntine,’ meanwhile, was an original story rooted in both fantasy/action-adventure and sci-fi,” the story reports. “The drama took place at a time after a cataclysmic technology-induced disaster has resulted in a new society that has eschewed any form of technology. This catastrophic event leaves small numbers of survivors scattered around the planet and forced to adapt to isolation and unique challenges.”

“Galyntine” starred Catherine Dent, with the pilot written by Jason Cahill.

AMC still has a number of pilots in the pipeline, notably its “Walking Dead” companion series along with the Afghanistan drama “White City” and the comedy “We Hate Paul Revere.”

amc-logo

TVBIZWIRE
Oct 31, 2014
1:22 pm
Comment

Amanda Bynes Gets Out of Psychiatric Hold, Goes on Twitter Rant (LA Times)

Actress Amanda Bynes ended a psychiatric hold Thursday and lashed out this morning at her parents on Twitter, calling her father a “sexual predator,” the Los Angeles Times reports.

The former Nickelodeon star was released after three weeks in an involuntary hold following a hearing Thursday where she was determined to be stable enough to take care of herself.

She was reportedly seen Thursday night out on the Sunset Strip.

This morning she tweeted: “I am going to court today with my lawyer to prove that I am more than capable of handling my personal life and finances and I am enraged.”

She added: “I got released from the hospital that Sam Lufti [sic] and my parents arranged to send me to because my dad is humiliated by what he’s done.”

The Times reports: “Before her involuntary commitment on Oct. 10, Bynes had publicly accused her father of sexual and verbal abuse. She later recanted the accusations, saying they were caused by a microchip her father had ordered implanted in her brain.”

Bynes’ mother, Lynn Bynes, was recently granted conservatorship over her daughter’s finances and medical decisions, as we reported previously.

In a series of tweets today, the actress reportedly wrote: “The police filed a report against my dad — I am not able to be in the same room with him. He is a sexual predator and he SHOULD BE IN JAIL.”

She later added: “People need to hear the truth about who I really am — I need to show the judge that not only do I not need ANY help making decisions about My future, I was planning on transferring to NYU, and I was never homeless, I was living in the nicest hotels until I found the right apt In NY.”

The Times reports: “Her parents and Sam Lutfi, a former Britney Spears confidant who helped Lynn and Rick Bynes get Amanda back to the West Coast from New York City, ‘are lying about stealing money from me and i cannot continue to allow them To abuse me any more!,’ she said.”

amanda bynes 2

Amanda Bynes

TVBIZWIRE
Oct 31, 2014
1:21 pm
Comment

‘Doctor Who’ Gets Supersized Finale (THR, BBC America)

The BBC has rolled out plans for a special extended episode for the finale of the current “Doctor Who” season, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The finale will have a running time of 60 minutes, and will air Nov. 8 in the U.K., the story says. The title of the episode is “Death in Heaven,” and it’s written by showrunner Steven Moffat.

The finale will also air on Nov. 8 in the U.S., according to BBC America.

The finale will mark the end of Peter Capaldi’s first season portraying the iconic time traveler.

Doctor-Who-Season-8-Teaser-BBC-America-Peter-Capaldi

TVBIZWIRE
Oct 31, 2014
1:19 pm
Comment

FX Developing Science-Fiction Comedy (Deadline)

A science-fiction comedy is in development at FX. Deadline.com reports that the new project is being developed by Dan Hernandez and Benji Samit of ABC’s “Super Fun Night.”

The pair are working with Michael Showalter, who also worked on “Super Fun Night,” on the project, called “Daedalus 6.” The story doesn’t provide details about the comedy’s focus or characters. Hernandez and Samit are currently working on a remake of “Gilligan’s Island” from Warner Bros., with the movie starring Josh Gad.

FX-logo

TVBIZWIRE
Oct 31, 2014
1:17 pm
Comment

Chelsea Handler Bails Out on Instagram Over Its Censorship of Her Topless Photo (CNN)

Comedian Chelsea Handler exited the social media site Instagram in a dispute over a photo of Handler “posing topless astride a horse in the style of a famous photo of Russian President Vladimir Putin,” CNN reports.

Handler accompanied the photo with a message saying: “Anything a man can do, a woman has the right to do better. #kremlin”

“Instagram pulled the photo down more than once, according to Handler, because it violated the company’s standards,” CNN reports. “Handler posted a notice from Instagram that says the photo doesn’t follow the app’s community guidelines, which specify, ‘Accounts found sharing nudity or mature content will be disabled and your access to Instagram may be discontinued.’”

Handler is accusing the site of sexism, writing: “If a man posts a photo of his nipples, it’s ok, but not a woman? Are we in 1825?”

She later posted a farewell message on Instagram with a photo of her pet dogs, writing: “You can now find my dogs and my breasts on Twitter only where my followers have the right to choose what they say. Bye bye instablock.”

chelsea handler

Chelsea Handler

TVBIZWIRE
Oct 31, 2014
8:37 am
Comment

Report: Kevin Reilly Back in Talks With Turner Broadcasting (Deadline)

Former Fox Chairman Kevin Reilly is back in talks with Turner Broadcasting, after executives there broke off negotiations a few weeks ago, reports Nellie Andreeva at Deadline.com.

“I hear that Turner Broadcasting President David Levy’s string of meetings last week with prospective candidates to succeed Steve Koonin included a sit-down with Reilly,” Andreeva writes. “There hasn’t been anyone else to emerge as a serious alternative for the post in the past two weeks, though there had been a few names thrown in the mix, including former NBC chief Jeff Gaspin.”

The story adds: “I hear Reilly explored some possibilities in the digital space before rekindling his interest in the Turner double vacancy. The company has not replaced longtime Turner Entertainment Networks President Koonin, who left in April, and TNT and TBS President of Programming Michael Wright, who departed at end of August. I hear Turner Broadcasting had been looking for an executive to essentially handle both jobs (some of Koonan’s responsibilities had been transferred to Levy some time ago.)”

One sticking point has been the reporting structure, with the new hire slated to report to Levy, although the article says that the two sides are working on a compromise.

“According to multiple sources, Reilly and Turner might have a deal in sight, though they were in the same position a couple of weeks ago before talks went south,” Andreeva notes.

kevin reilly

Kevin Reilly

TVBIZWIRE
Oct 31, 2014
8:29 am
Comment
TVBIZWIRE
Oct 31, 2014
8:21 am
Comment

‘SNL’ Cast Member Under Fire for Comments About Harassment Video (THR, Salon)

One of the cast members on NBC’s “Saturday Night Live” is taking heat for comments about a viral video aimed at exposing sexual harassment.

Michael Che sparked criticism for comparing the harassment shown in the video “10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman” to his own experiences being approached by fans, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

As previously reported, aspiring actress Shoshana Roberts used a hidden camera to tape the catcalls she received while walking around New York City for 10 hours. Roberts said the harassment “on a daily basis — this day included — feels awful.”

Che wrote a Facebook post comparing sexual harassment to being approached by crazed fans, the story notes. The post has since been deleted.

“i wanna apologize to all the women that ive harrassed with statements like ‘hi’ or ‘have a nice day’ or ‘youre beautiful,’” Che wrote. “i cant imagine what that must feel like. the closest thing I’ve experienced is maybe when a girl recognizes me from tv and they say things like ‘AHHHH!! OH MY GOD!! SNL SNL SNL!! TAKE A PICTURE!! TAKE A PICTURE!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!! WHATS YOUR NAME AGAIN?! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! WAIT SAY SOMETHING FUNNY!!’ but even that is nothing like the harrassment of having a complete stranger tell me to ‘smile.’”

Che’s comments were “totally unhelpful,” writes Katie McDonough in Salon.

“My first and main thought is that we do not hear about many women assaulting or murdering ‘Saturday Night Live’ cast members they meet in bars or on the street, but we do actually have women getting assaulted and murdered after being harassed by men on the street, so I am not really feeling Che’s parallel. But he’s free to make it, of course. Because free speech and America,” McDonough writes.

michael che

Michael Che

TVBIZWIRE
Oct 31, 2014
8:17 am
Comment

Weather Channel Distances Itself From Co-Founder’s Controversial Comments on Climate Change (TVNewser)

The Weather Channel is moving away from widely publicized remarks about climate change that one of the channel’s co-founders made on Fox News. TVNewser reports that the channel’s CEO, David Kenny, addressed the issue in a memo to company staffers.

As previously reported, Weather Channel co-founder John Coleman said on Fox News Channel’s “The Kelly File” that climate change is fake, and also criticized former Vice President Al Gore for making “a billion dollars off climate change.” His comments attracted a lot of attention and set off a swirl of controversy.

Kenny wrote in his memo: “Mr. Coleman does have a place in our company’s history, and we appreciate the contributions he made more than 30 years ago. However, we want to be clear: John Coleman is no longer affiliated with our company, and his opinions do not represent The Weather Company. We regret any confusion this has caused.”

Coleman, 80, was the first weather anchor for “Good Morning America” in the 1970s, and co-founded the Weather Channel in 1981. The channel is now owned by The Weather Company.

You can see the video of Coleman’s comments by clicking here.

weather channel-logo

TVBIZWIRE
Oct 31, 2014
7:51 am
Comment

Daytime Talk Show Gets a Second Season (LA Times, Variety)

Less than two months after its debut, a syndicated daytime talk show has been picked up for a second season. The Los Angeles Times’ Show Tracker reports that NBCUniversal Television Distribution’s “The Meredith Vieira Show” was renewed.

The series currently airs in 98% of the country, including NBC-owned television stations, the story notes.

Variety notes that the show most recently delivered a 0.7 average rating for the week ending Oct. 19 in the key demo of women 25-54. “Warner Bros.’ new roundtable show ‘The Real’ has narrowly outpaced ‘Meredith Vieira’ among freshman talk show strips for the season to date,” the report adds.

Ed Swindler, president of NBCUniversal Domestic Television Distribution and NBC Broadcast Operations, commented: “With its singular host and talented producers, ‘Meredith’ has grown creatively since launch, continues to gain viewers and we are optimistic it will emerge as a staple in daytime.”

meredith vieira show-title

Older Articles