"’Glee’ star Cory Monteith spent his last evening out on the town with three friends before returning to his luxury hotel room alone where he took heroin and died early Saturday morning from the effects of the drug combined with alcohol," reports the Global Post, a publication owned by the Canadian Press.
The article continues: "’There was evidence in the room that was consistent with drug use,’ Const. Brian Montague, of Vancouver police, said at a news conference Tuesday [July 16, 2013], after the B.C. Coroners’ Service announced the results of an autopsy and toxicology tests. ‘It was the opinion and belief of our investigators at that time that this was going to be a drug overdose.’"
The story adds: "The Service’s Barb McLintock said the coroners’ investigation will continue. Police say the unanswered questions McLintock’s office will determine include the levels of alcohol and heroin in Monteith’s system and whether the 31-year-old was the victim of a bad batch of heroin, something which turns up from time to time in Vancouver."
The article also notes: "Montague said the police investigation is finished. He said the two women and another man Monteith were with last Friday night co-operated fully with police and investigators believe they know exactly what the group was doing and where they were. He wouldn’t elaborate and said officers won’t pursue where Monteith might have gotten the heroin."