Hollywood responded to news of the death of "Glee" star Cory Monteith with an outpouring of grief and sympathy on social media sites, USA Today reports.
As previously reported, the 31-year-old actor, who played Finn on the Fox musical series, was found dead Saturday in a hotel room in Vancouver, several months after he had checked himself into a treatment center for substance addiction. He reportedly completed his treatment at that time and checked out in late April.
An autopsy is scheduled for Monteith today, as reported earlier.
Lea Michele, another star of the show who was Monteith’s girlfriend both on and off the screen, had not yet released a statement, but CNN reported that her representatives asked Sunday that people "kindly respect Lea’s privacy during this devastating time." Monteith’s last public outing was reportedly with Michele June 8 at the Chrysalis Butterfly Ball.
Here are some of the celebrity tweets spotlighted in the USA Today report:
– Ellen DeGeneres: "My heart breaks for the friends and family of Cory Monteith. What a loss."
– Kim Kardashian: "Just heard about the death of Cory Monteith. So sad. Prayers 4 his family. Praying 4 Lea too! Words can’t describe what they must be feeling."
– Katy Perry: "Rest in peace Cory. My heart goes out to his family and loved ones. Our prayers are with you."
– John Stamos: "We talked about how lucky he felt to be alive-and sober. We talked about playing drums. Glad i knew you Cory."
– Neil Patrick Harris: "How sad to read about Cory Monteith passing away. What a shame. He was a lovely, kind, talented guy and will be missed."
– Julianne Hough: "One of the kindest people I’ve ever met! My heart breaks for Cory’s family and loved ones… You will be missed and forever loved Cory!"
– Zooey Deschanel: "What an absolutely tragic loss of a very talented young man."
– Rihanna: "Cory Monteith, may your spirit be at peace, and may you fly with the angels… Heartbreaking, my prayers are with all of his loved ones!"
– Sophia Bush: "I saw him a few weeks ago in NY, looking so happy. heartbreaking…"
– Mario Lopez: "RIP Cory Montieth… Such a nice guy, very down to earth. Incredibly sad….#TooYoungToDie"