Movie That Terrified Audiences 40 Years Ago May Be Made Into TV Series

August 8, 2013  •  Post A Comment

A horror classic that created a frenzy during its theatrical run 40 years ago is being shopped as a TV drama series, Deadline.com reports. The movie is "The Exorcist," which marks its 40th anniversary later this year.

Morgan Creek, which owns the rights to the property, is shopping a series by feature writer Jeremy Slater, who is said to have a new take on the material. Broadcast and cable networks are interested in the project, the story says.

Morgan Creek and Roy Lee, executive producer of "The Ring," also shopped a limited series based on "The Exorcist" last year, but with a different writer.

Slater wrote the new "Fantastic Four" film, the piece notes.

The movie "The Exorcist," starring Ellen Burstyn, Max von Sydow and Linda Blair, quickly built a reputation for terrifying audiences when it was in theaters and was later named as the scariest movie of all time on a number of lists. It received 10 Academy Award nominations, including becoming the first horror film nominated for best picture. "The Sting" won best picture that year, while "The Exorcist" took home Oscars for best adapted screenplay and best sound mixing.

One Comment

  1. This is a little nit-picky, but hey what else are comment sections for? TVWeek, how do you do a story on the Exorcist without mentioning the great William Friedkin?

Your Commment

Email (will not be published)