The Fox singing competition "American Idol" finds itself in a tough spot — with the possibility that production will be delayed — after the deal to sign songwriter and producer Dr. Luke collapsed, The Hollywood Reporter’s Idol Worship reports. Dr. Luke had been close to a deal to become a judge on the show.
The show was originally slated to start taping next Tuesday, but that might be pushed back, the story reports.
As previously reported, singer Harry Connick Jr. is in the running to take the third spot at the judge’s table, joining Jennifer Lopez and Keith Urban.
Fox is said to be cool to the idea of giving the job to Connick, preferring to hire an industry professional rather than another celebrity, THR notes. Fox declined to comment.
Dr. Luke’s deal fell apart Aug. 23 after Sony Music CEO Doug Morris declined to allow him to appear on the show because his competitor, Universal Music Group, holds the exclusive rights to "American Idol" recordings, the story notes.
THR reports that Luke even offered Sony Music half his potential "Idol" salary, which was said to be about $12 million. Luke earns about $30 million a year from his music business, the piece adds, noting that would have lessened the sacrifice.
Meanwhile, Fox and "Idol" producers are said to be angry with talent agency CAA, which reportedly assured them that Luke’s contract would allow him to take the judge’s role. Fox’s attorneys found that his contract didn’t allow him to do so, the story adds. CAA didn’t respond to a request for comment for the THR report.