New York City officials released details today on the death of Academy Award-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, saying he died from a toxic mix of heroin and other drugs, the Associated Press reports.
"Hoffman died from a mix of heroin, cocaine, amphetamines and benzodiazepines, which are psychoactive drugs, said a spokeswoman for the New York City medical examiner. The death was ruled an accident," the story reports, adding: "Law enforcement officials have said Hoffman was found Feb. 2 with a needle in his arm, and tests found heroin in samples from at least 50 packets in his Manhattan apartment."
The actor’s death had been investigated as a suspected overdose. An autopsy earlier this month was reportedly inconclusive, prompting medical examiners to call for further tests.
"Authorities also found unused syringes, a charred spoon and various prescription medications, including a drug used to treat heroin addiction, a blood-pressure medication and a muscle relaxant," the story reports.
Hoffman won an Oscar for the 2005 movie "Capote." He died at 46.
The report notes: Investigators have been probing how Hoffman may have obtained the heroin. Tests of the heroin in his apartment have found that it was not cut with a dangerous additive such as fentanyl, a synthetic form of morphine used to intensify the high that has been linked to deaths in other states."
The story adds: "A musician, veteran jazz player Robert Vineberg, has been charged with keeping a heroin stash in a lower Manhattan apartment amid the investigation into Hoffman’s death. Vineberg, who has said he was a friend of the Tony Award-nominated Hoffman, hasn’t been charged in Hoffman’s death and has said he didn’t sell him the heroin found in his apartment."