Former NFL Player Named as New Host of ‘Who Wants to Be a Millionaire’

May 7, 2014  •  Post A Comment

The question of who will be the new host of the syndicated game show "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" now has its final answer: Former NFL player Terry Crews has the job, with the official announcement coming today, according to a report in USA Today.

Crews, known for his role on Fox's "Brooklyn Nine-Nine," was expected to get the job, as we reported last week. The show will launch its 13th season this fall.

Cedric the Entertainer, who held down the job for a year, announced last week that he was headed out. According to some reports, the change of hosts is related to cost-cutting efforts by the show.

"In addition to Fox's 'Brooklyn,' the enthusiastic and energetic Crews appears in the upcoming film 'Blended,' and his first book, 'Manhood,' comes out on May 20," USA Today notes.

The official announcement includes a statement from Crews in which he says: "I'm beyond thrilled to be joining 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire' and the Disney-ABC family. 'Millionaire' is such a beloved franchise and I can't wait to get started as the new host. In addition to my film projects … hosting has always been a dream of mine, and I couldn't have asked for a greater opportunity."

Crews earned praise from Disney-ABC Domestic Television President Janice Marinelli, who says in the announcement: "Terry is engaging, endearing, smart, and quick on his feet — the perfect combination to lead one of the longest-running franchises in game show history."

terry crews 2.pngTerry Crews

Your Comment

Email (will not be published)