Former Star of ABC Drama Series Pleads Not Guilty to Felony Battery

May 15, 2014  •  Post A Comment

An actor who was one of the stars of an ABC drama series has entered a not guilty plea in a felony battery case. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Columbus Short, a former star of "Scandal," entered the plea in a case involving a fight earlier this year in a West Hollywood restaurant in which a man was reportedly seriously injured.

"Short appeared in court for a brief arraignment hearing on the case filed after he was accused of punching a man at the restaurant in March," THR reports. "The actor's attorney Jeff Jacquet had sought to fast track the case, but Deputy District Attorney David Schorr said the injuries involved were too serious to qualify. He said Short is accused of cold-cocking a man, knocking him unconscious and fracturing his left eye socket."

Short is due back in court June 5, when the date for the preliminary hearing is to be set.

"Superior Court Judge Keith L. Schwartz said based on the injuries the case wasn't eligible for the so-called early disposition program, which could have settled the case before a preliminary hearing in which more details about the altercation would be disclosed," the THR report notes.

Short has a history of violence allegations, the piece reports. "He faces a misdemeanor spousal battery case and his estranged wife has a temporary restraining order against him. Tanee Short claims her husband threatened her with a knife during a fight in April," THR reports. "She filed for divorce after the incident, and a hearing on the restraining order is scheduled for May 21."

Short was one of the leads on "Scandal" through its first three seasons, but won't be back with the ABC show for season four, as we reported previously.

columbus short 3.pngColumbus Short

Your Comment

Email (will not be published)