Six of the 10 highest-earning chief executives last year were in the media industry, according to a ranking compiled by the Associated Press and Equilar.
They include Leslie Moonves of CBS, who earned $65.6 million last year, an increase of 9 percent from the year before, and was the second-highest paid CEO overall in 2013, behind Nabors Industries’ Anthony Petrello, who pulled in $68.2 million.
Other top-paid media CEOs who also ranked in the top 10 of all U.S. chief executives by compensation include Philippe Dauman of Viacom, at $37.2 million, and Robert Iger of Walt Disney, at $34.7 million.
Below is the list of the 10 highest-paid chief executives in 2013, with their percentage change from the year before.
1. Anthony Petrello, Nabors Industries, $68.2 million, up 246 percent
2. Leslie Moonves, CBS, $65.6 million, up 9 percent
3. Richard Adkerson, Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold, $55.3 million, up 294 percent
4. Stephen Kaufer, TripAdvisor, $39 million, up 510 percent
5. Philippe Dauman, Viacom, $37.2 million, up 11 percent
6. Leonard Schleifer, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, $36.3 million, up 21 percent
7. Robert Iger, Walt Disney, $34.3 million, down 7 percent
8. David Zaslav, Discovery Communications, $33.3 million, down 33 percent
9. Jeffrey Bewkes, Time Warner, $32.5 million, up 27 percent
10. Brian Roberts, Comcast, $31.4 million, up 8 percent