“Prince died from an accidental, self-administered overdose of the powerful drug fentanyl, the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office said in a report released Thursday,” reports the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
The story adds, “The report released Thursday said the 5-foot-3 Prince weighed 112 pounds at the time of death. It also disclosed that he had a scar on his left hip and on the lower part of his right leg. Prince was reported to have had surgery several years ago on an ailing hip caused by years of jumping off speakers while performing in high heels.”
The article also notes that “There were 35 deaths related to fentanyl in Minnesota last year, compared with one in 2000, according to death certificate data from the Minnesota Department of Health.
“‘Fentanyl is as addictive and more potent than oxycodone and other opioids,’ said Dr. Anne Pylkas, a HealthPartners addiction medicine specialist who wasn’t involved in Prince’s care. Misuse often occurs when patients use two or three 72-hour patches instead of one.”
The story also says that “Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is 100 times more powerful than morphine. Administered by injection, lozenge or patch to treat severe pain after surgery and to manage chronic pain, the controlled substance is commonly sold illegally and misused by addicts.”
Dr. Pylkas also told the Star Tribune that because Fentanyl is “‘much stronger than morphine, so it’s easier to overdose on, because it’s incredibly potent. We measure it in micrograms, not in milligrams’ like other pain relievers.”
To read more about this story we urge you to click here, which will take you to the original article in the Minneapolis Star Tribune.