In the final year of his contract with Turner, where his TBS show “Conan” has become a late-night fixture in its six years on the air, Conan O’Brien is reportedly being courted by YouTube.
The New York Post reports that the online video giant has had preliminary discussions with O’Brien about his availability. The report cites an unnamed source.
“O’Brien, who is reportedly paid $12 million a year at TBS, is in the final year of his contract,” The Post reports. “The 53-year-old host is angling for a raise and a shake-up of his role at the network — perhaps a role that could better exploit his digital abilities, a source said.”
However, O’Brien, who has also reportedly had interest from network, appears to be inclined to stay put at TBS, the report adds, citing sources close to O’Brien.
“O’Brien, who is hugely popular with the young male demographic, has 4.6 million YouTube channel subscribers — even as ratings for his Monday-to-Thursday show have declined,” the report notes.
As we reported last week, TBS has been said to be considering cutting back O’Brien’s show to once a week. At the same time, the company has a number of other projects in the works involving O’Brien. Among those, the “Conan” segment “Clueless Gamer” is reportedly being developed as a series, as we reported separately.