In Depth

WGA Strike Roundup: Thursday, Feb. 14

Hollywood Foreign Press to Sue WGA Over Globes Cancellation
The Hollywood Foreign Press is planning to sue the Writers Guild of America for not agreeing to an exception that would have allowed the Golden Globes Awards ceremony to take place as scheduled during the WGA strike, Web site DeadlineHollywoodDaily.com reports, citing confirmation from an NBC spokesperson. NBC said it denied a request by the Hollywood Foreign Press and Dick Clark Productions to join them in a lawsuit against the WGA, the Web site says. A Dick Clark Productions spokesperson denied any intention of filing a lawsuit, the Web site reports.

Writers Go to Seven-Day Weeks to Deliver Extra CBS Episodes
Writers for CBS series “NCIS” and “CSI: NY” will be working seven-day weeks while crewmembers will go to a six-day weekly work schedule in order to produce the seven episodes the network has ordered for each show for the rest of the season, the Hollywood Reporter says.

Hanks, De Niro, Streep, Clooney Pressure SAG to Start Talks
Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro, Meryl Streep and George Clooney placed an advertisement in Daily Variety yesterday asking the Screen Actors Guild to start contract talks immediately to avoid a strike similar to the one just ended by the Writers Guild of America, the newspaper says. SAG, whose contract with studios expires June 30, has sought input from some of its biggest stars as it prepares for negotiations, Daily Variety says.

‘Earl’ Creator Gets in Touch With Audience With Fast-Food Job During Strike“My Name is Earl” creator and executive producer Greg Garcia worked at a fast-food restaurant for about a month during the Writers Guild of America strike in an attempt to “get back in touch” with his television audience, the Hollywood Reporter says. Garcia, who didn’t identify the restaurant where he worked as a cashier and janitor, didn’t disclose his identity with restaurant co-works until his last day on the job, the newspaper reports.

About 100 TV Writers Cut During Strike Are Still Without Deals
At least 100 television writers who were laid off last month as studios tried to cut costs during the Writers Guild of America strike either remain without jobs or will return to some series with renegotiated contracts, Daily Variety reports. Studios are obligated to rehire writers who had been working on current TV series, according to WGA agreements, though their previous contracts won’t be in effect, the newspaper says. Writers let go in January include teams such as Gabe Sachs and Jeff Judah (“What About Brian”), and Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts (“Women’s Murder Club,” “Pepper Dennis”), the newspaper reports.

—Danny King