KNBC news director heading to KCAL
Nancy Bauer-Gonzales will be named news director at Young Broadcasting’s KCAL-TV, Los Angeles, this week, sources said. Ms. Bauer-Gonzales is currently the news director at NBC owned-and-operated KNBC-TV, Los Angeles. The station had been searching for a news director since Dennis Herzig resigned a few months ago. Ms. Bauer-Gonzales will start at KCAL Oct. 1, sources said.
New co-anchor at `KTLA Morning News’
Giselle Fernandez has been hired to co-anchor the morning news show at KTLA-TV, Los Angeles. She will join “KTLA Morning News” on Oct. 15, said News Director Jeff Wald. Ms. Fernandez replaces Barbara Beck, who left the station last spring. Ms. Fernandez was a weekend co-anchor and reporter for the station’s 10 p.m. newscast early in her career and later built a reputation covering international news stories and special assignments for CBS and NBC. A former co-host of entertainment magazine show “Access Hollywood,” Ms. Fernandez is currently the co-anchor of the History Channel’s “This Week in History.” “When Giselle guest co-anchored the `KTLA Morning News’ earlier this summer, we received overwhelmingly positive response from our viewers,” Mr. Wald said. “She will be an asset in every way to our `Morning News,’ helping to continue and build on the show’s success.”
Fox Television Chairman Mulligan resigns
Brian Mulligan has resigned as chairman of Fox Television, effective Sept. 30. An announcement from News Corp. said he will remain as a consultant. Sources described Mr. Mulligan as unable to adapt to the corporate culture at Fox and as someone who doesn’t know the TV business. He also was reportedly known for a devotion to minutiae-and for making it harder for some of Fox’s most talented top executives to do their jobs. However, a Fox spokesman insisted that Mr. Mulligan, who had been chief financial officer of Seagram Universal for a year before joining Fox in January, was not pushed out. A statement from Mr. Mulligan said that “years of nonstop travel,” followed by “the time demands of being chairman, led me to conclude that I needed to strike a better balance between my personal and professional life. … I look forward to pursuing other interests.” Mr. Mulligan oversaw the Fox Television Stations group, Fox Sports, the Fox Cable Networks Group and the business operations of Fox Broadcasting. Some insiders speculate that Rupert Murdoch’s son Lachlan might assume a significant portion of Mr. Mulligan’s duties. Cullie Tarleton, the head of Fox’s affiliates body, on Thursday had warm praise for Mr. Mulligan. “He was always accessible to the affiliates,” he said. “He was willing to listen to our concerns. He was willing to work with the stations.”
`Conan O’Brien’ to add Monday show
NBC’s “Late Night With Conan O’Brien” will expand from its normal four-show-a-week pattern to a full week of first-run shows for the next few weeks. “We’re living in a different time now, especially in New York. Our shows should reflect that,” Mr. O’Brien said in a statement. Since its debut in 1993, “Late Night With Conan O’Brien” had predominantly followed a programming pattern similar to his NBC predecessor, David Letterman, shooting four shows a week and running a repeat on Mondays. Mr. O’Brien returned to broadcasting his show last Tuesday in the wake of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11. “Late Night With Conan O’Brien” is produced by NBC Studios in association with Broadway Video. Lorne Michaels and Jeff Ross are the executive producers.
`Tonight Show’s’ De Cordova dead at 90
Frederick De Cordova, who served as producer and executive producer of NBC’s “The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson” from 1971 to 1992, died Sept. 15 due to natural causes at the Motion Picture and Television Fund health center in Woodland Hills, Calif. Mr. De Cordova, who would have been 91 next month, served as producer of “The Tonight Show” for 14 years before he was named executive producer in 1984. He was frequently spied by the TV audience just off camera trading jabs and quips with Mr. Carson during tapings.
East Coast Cable Show canceled
The East Coast Cable Show, set for Baltimore, Oct. 23 to Oct. 25, was canceled Friday afternoon, owing to the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11. A statement called the cancellation “prudent” in light of the fact that a “large number of attendees … come from New York, Washington, D.C., and Pennsylvania.” The 2002 show, renamed the New Eastern Cable Show, will be held in Baltimore, Oct. 1 to Oct. 3, according to the statement.
Sep 24, 2001 • Post A Comment
KNBC news director heading to KCAL