Former “Nightline” anchor Ted Koppel may be headed back to ABC News, where he worked for 42 years before leaving in 2005, Politico reports.
The network is negotiating with Koppel to become the anchor of the Sunday morning “This Week” for three Sundays a month, sources told Politico.
Back on Dec. 18, Gail Shister, writing at Mediabistro.com’s TVNewser, asked Koppel if he was indeed a candidate for the show. Here’s what he said at the time, according to Shister:
So tell us, Ted Koppel, any truth to buzz that you’re a candidate for the anchor job at ABC’s "This Week"?
"Let me put it this way," says Koppel, former longtime anchor of ABC’s "Nightline." "I never respond, positively or negatively, to something that’s not been offered. I haven’t been asked, so there’s nothing to respond to."
Given Koppel’s fondness for diplomatic subtext, however, could that be construed as a non-denial denial?
"No, it’s a clear statement of fact," he says. "If ABC is interested, they know how to find me."
If the Politico story is right, things have heated up since then.
According to the Politico story, the fourth Sunday of each month would be filled by rotating anchors being groomed for a future anchor role. The job opened up when George Stephanopoulos took over as co-anchor of “Good Morning America.”
ABC News executives said no offers have been made, and ABC News President David Westin said in an email to Politico that the network is considering a number of alternatives, noting that Politico’s report had many wrong details.
Most recently Koppel’s been producing documentaries for Discovery, but in November Koppel and Discovery decided to mutually end his contract, which was originally set to expire in May, 2010.
–Elizabeth Jensen and Chuck Ross