With the opening of the annual convention of the National Association of Television Program Executives in Las Vegas today, word comes from Television Business International that they’ve determined the most popular game show in the world, based on ratings.
And the winner is–drum-roll please: "
Slumdog Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."
Here is the top 10, according to the magazine:
Show Debut channel Debut year Distributor/Licensor
1. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? ITV (UK) 1998 Sony Pictures Television
2. Deal or No Deal Nederland 2 2002 Endemol
3. Wipeout ABC (US) 2008 Endemol
4. Wheel of Fortune NBC (US) 1975 CBS Studios International 5. Family Feud ABC (US) 1976 FremantleMedia
6. Don’t Forget The Lyrics Fox (US) 2007 RDF Rights
7. Hole in the Wall Fox (US) 2008 FremantleMedia
8. Are You Sm. Than A 5th Grader? Fox (US) 2007 Shine Int’l./Mark Burnett Pr.
9. Jeopardy NBC (US) 1964 CBS Studios International
10. I Love My Country RTL4 (Netherlands) 2008 Talpa Media
Countries included in the survey were: UK, US, Australia, Belgium (North and South separately), Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Russia, South Africa, Spain and Sweden. According to the report, "Rankings were based on the number of times a show appeared in a country’s top-rated programmes with shows under five minutes and duplicates excluded."