Apple announced that it hit its 10 billionth downloaded app on Saturday morning, Jan. 22, 2011. The milestone was reached when the app for the game Paper Glider "was downloaded by Gail Davis from Orpington in Kent" in the United Kingdom, reports U.K. publication The Telegraph. She was rewarded with a $10,000 Apple iTunes gift card.
According to the article, Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, said: ‘With more than 10 billion apps downloaded in just two and a half years, a staggering seven billion apps in the last year alone, the App Store has surpassed our wildest dreams.’
Apple also released a list of the most downloaded paid and free apps in the two and a half years since the App Store opened, a sidebar article in The Telegraph reported:
Top 10 Paid Apps (descriptions from The Telegraph article):
1. Doodle Jump – Simplistic platformer
2. Tap Tap Revenge 3 – Guitar Hero-style rhythm game.
3. Pocket God – You play God over primitive islanders.
4. Angry Birds – Inescapable catapulting fun.
5. Tap Tap Revenge 2.6 – More rhythmic tapping action.
6. Bejeweled 2 + Blitz – Puzzler based on matching gemstones.
7. Traffic Rush – Solve puzzles based on traffic jams.
8. Tap Tap Revenge Classic – Yet more tapping in time.
9. AppBox Pro-Alarm Clock – Fully featured utilities suite.
10. Flight Control – Air traffic control simulator.
Top 10 Free Apps (description from The Telegraph article):
1. Facebook – The dominant social network
2. Pandora Radio – Personalized internet radio.
3. Google Mobile App – Web search, including voice recognition.
4. Shazam – Music discovery service.
5. Movies by Flixter – U.S. DVD rentals.
6. The Weather Channel – Worldwide forecasts.
7. Google Earth – The most popular mapping service.
8. Bump – Easy data sharing between two iPhones.
9. Skype – Free VoIP calling.
10. Paper Toss – Addictive time-wasting video game.