An investigative TV journalist who was with ABC News and is now with CBS News denied a report that he was an informant for the FBI when he was with ABC, The New York Times reports.
According to the article, "A report published by the Center for Public Integrity put CBS News on the defensive on Tuesday after saying that an unnamed journalist had been treated as a “potential confidential informant” in the wake of the [Oklahoma City] bombing in 1995. Christopher Isham, a vice president at CBS News and chief of its Washington bureau, later issued a statement denouncing the claims, revealing himself as the subject of the report. Mr. Isham, who worked for ABC News at the time of the bombing, said he would have passed information to the F.B.I. only to try to verify it or to alert the bureau to word of a possible terrorist attack."
The Times story says Isham issued a statement saying, "Like every investigative reporter, my job for 25 years has been to check out information and tips from sources. In the heat of the Oklahoma City bombing, it would not be unusual for me or any journalist to run information by a source within the F.B.I. for confirmation or to notify authorities about a pending terrorist attack.”