"A high-profile parliamentary panel investigating phone hacking at Rupert Murdoch’s now-defunct News of the World tabloid released embarrassing new evidence Tuesday [today, Aug. 16, 2011] that the practice of intercepting voice mail had been widely discussed at the newspaper, contradicting assertions by its owners and editors," reports The New York Times.
The evidence released is a letter, dated March 2, 2007, from Clive Goodman to Daniel Cloke, the Group Human Resources Director for News International. News International is News Corp.’s U.K. subsidiary that owned and ran the British tabloid The News of the World. Goodman is the former royal correspondent for that tabloid who was convicted of phone hacking and fired. You can read Goodman’s letter if you click here.
The Times article continues, "In light of the new evidence, the panel also announced that it was summoning at least four former News of the World figures for questioning at a hearing next month and could possibly ask Mr. Murdoch’s son James, the head of the Murdoch conglomerate’s European operations, back for more testimony as well."
The article adds, "In addition to the Goodman letter, the parliamentary panel released a letter from Harbottle & Lewis, a law firm hired by the Murdochs, which they have repeatedly cited as having given the News of the World a ‘clean bill of health’ in reviewing a cache of e-mails in 2007. The law firm’s letter contradicts that assertion and says that its own investigation had been limited strictly to advising the company in its employment dispute with Mr. Goodman."
The story also notes that "News International said through a spokesman that it ‘recognized the seriousness’ of the material disclosed to the police and Parliament and was committed to working in a ‘constructive and open way’ with all the relevant authorities.’"