Logo

U.S. Investigation Continues Into Claims of Phone Hacking of 9/11 Victims by News Corp.; Officials Meet With Victims’ Families

Aug 25, 2011  •  Post A Comment

The U.S. is continuing an inquiry into claims that News Corp. hacked into the phones of 9/11 victims, reports Bloomberg, citing an attorney for victims’ families who met with Attorney General Eric Holder.

Holder met with nine family members at the Justice Department at their request, according to attorney Norman Siegel, the story says. Holder said the department is committed to the inquiry, although he wouldn’t confirm whether there was evidence in News Corp. reporters’ phone records, the piece adds.

The meeting, which lasted 75 minutes, included five Justice Department officials and three officials from the FBI, including Kevin Perkins, the agency’s assistant director overseeing criminal investigations, the story says. Holder said that if the allegations were found to be true, there would be "full justice," according to Jim Riches, whose 29-year-old son Jim, a NYC firefighter, died in the 9/11 attacks, the piece adds.

News Corp. Chief Executive Rupert Murdoch said last month that he had seen no evidence of the allegations, the story says.

Your Comment

Email (will not be published)