Charlie Sheen, ousted by Warner Bros from his starring role on the CBS sitcom ‘Two and a Half Men’ in March, "will receive about $25 million to settle the dispute, according to a person with knowledge of the situation who requested anonymity because the negotiations are confidential," reports our good friend Joe Flint in the Los Angeles Times.
According to the story, "The figure was derived primarily from Sheen’s participation in profits from the show. His last deal with Warner Bros. was due to expire in May 2012."
Separately, TMZ–which is owned by Time Warner’s Telepictures–reports that the $25 million is just the amount of money Sheen will see immediately: "Charlie has shot around 180 episodes for the show, and in the next 7 – 10 years, the settlement will produce $100 million for the actor in syndication profits."
The L.A. Times article reviews the Sheen saga that started in January, when Warner Bros. shut down production so Sheen could be treated for substance abuse.
The story notes, "Soon after another Sheen attack on [‘Two and a Half Men’ creator Chuck] Lorre and Warner Bros. on a radio show, [Warner Bros.] fired the actor. In a letter to Sheen’s attorney, Warner Bros. said he was fired because the actor was "engaged in dangerously self-destructive conduct and appears to be very ill" and was unable to perform at an acceptable level. Sheen sued Warner Bros. for $100 million for wrongful termination, contending he was ready to return to work. A California Superior Court judge ruled that any dispute about the terms of Sheen’s contract with Warner Bros. had to go to arbitration."
The story continues, "When he was fired from the show, Sheen was the highest-paid actor in television, making $1.2 million per episode. Along with the eight episodes he did not make last season, he was under contract for 24 episodes for this season, meaning that he was set to make $38.4 million plus his cut of rerun money that the show generates."
Most recently, Sheen has been contrite, the story notes: "He even told Jay Leno, host of NBC’s ‘The Tonight Show,’ that he would have fired himself. On Sunday night, he appeared on Fox’s telecast of the Emmys, wishing the cast and crew of ‘Two and a Half Men’ good luck: ‘From the bottom of my heart I wish you nothing but the best for this upcoming season.’"
And Deadline.com reported that Sheen used Twitter to say complimentary things about Monday night’s season premiere of "Two and a Half Men" with Ashton Kutcher: “ ‘Surrounded by friends and watching the premiere of Two and a Half Men,’ [Sheen] tweeted tonight. ‘Odd… But cool..! So far a lot of laughs!!’ and later, ‘laughing our assess off.’ "
The L.A. Times article also notes, "A spokesman for Warner Bros. denied there is a settlement and declined to comment further. A spokesman for Sheen referred calls to the actor’s lawyer, who was unavailable for comment."