With the jury declaring itself to be “hopelessly deadlocked,” a mistrial has been declared in actress Nicollette Sheridan’s wrongful termination lawsuit against ABC and “Desperate Housewives,” E! Online reports.
With at least nine votes needed to reach a decision in the civil case, the jury was stuck one vote short of a verdict, locked 8-4 in favor of Sheridan. The actress is seeking $6 million in damages.
The attorneys for the two sides were unable to reach a resolution on their own in settlement court Friday.
Sheridan’s attorney, Mark Baute, indicated his client would return to court with the case.
Commenting on the mistrial, Baute said: "You’d think we’d be disappointed but we’re not. We got our story out there. We went up against a 50-million-dollar conglomerate who had 10 witnesses, and eight jurors said, ‘No, I’m not buying what you’re selling.’"
“Desperate Housewives” creator Marc Cherry, who was named in the lawsuit, had already been eliminated from the case when the judge dismissed Sheridan’s battery allegation against him due to a lack of evidence.