In his new book, due out on Monday, Dan Rather writes that even though his $70 million breach of conduct suit was rejected by the New York courts, the suit against CBS News was worth it, the AP reports.
The Associated Press quotes from the book, "Rather Outspoken," in which Rather says, "[It] took a big whack out of my time, my psyche and my bank balance, but even so, it was worth it." Rather also revealed that his wife, Jean, was supportive, even though she had been against the action.
Rather writes that the case brought some “ugly truths” about CBS to light, the report says.
Rather claims that during a rough 15-month period at the network after he left the "CBS Evening News" anchor desk, he felt the network had marginalized him. "Nevertheless, I refused to believe what my eyes were seeing and my ears were hearing," he writes in the book.
The story reports: “He was working for ‘60 Minutes’ during that period but said he constantly saw his stories criticized and ideas rejected. ‘It was clear to everyone but me that I was being erased,’ Rather wrote. ‘Nevertheless, I refused to believe what my eyes were seeing and my ears were hearing.’"
In his current position with the newsmagazine "HDNet," Rather is happier. He writes, "I understand that we are unlikely to have as much impact as a large network news organization. The audience is far smaller. Fewer people are going to know what we are doing. But we know. I know. And I judge success or failure by my own standards, not by somebody else’s."