Logo

No More ‘Mad Men’ for Dish Subscribers? Satellite Company to Pull AMC Networks in Fee Dispute

Jun 29, 2012  •  Post A Comment

Dish Network subscribers are poised to lose “Mad Men,” “The Walking Dead” and other popular programming, casualties of a dispute over programming fees between AMC Networks and the second-largest U.S. satellite TV provider, Reuters reports.

Dish Network said it will replace three AMC Networks, IFC, WE and AMC, with HDNet, HDNet Movies and Style. The move, set to take place Saturday, will black out 14 million Dish subscribers from the popular AMC shows.

“The company said it notified AMC Networks earlier this year of its decision not to renew its contract due to the channels’ high costs compared with relatively low viewership,” the story reports.

The article adds: “AT&T Inc. said on Wednesday that AMC is battling it over rate increases that could shut out AT&T TV customers from watching the season premiere of the hit show ‘Breaking Bad.’ AT&T said AMC is demanding ‘excessive rate increases’ to renew its U-verse TV contract.”

In a statement, Dave Shull, senior vice president of programming for Dish, said: "AMC Networks requires us to carry low-rated channels like IFC and WE to access a few popular AMC shows. The math is simple: it’s not a good value for our customers."

Another issue is online streaming. The story reports: “Dish said AMC Networks has devalued its programming by making some of its popular shows available on the Internet via Apple Inc.’s iTunes, Netflix Inc. and Amazon.com Inc.”

Your Comment

Email (will not be published)