Logo

Turner Agrees to Pay for Promotional Stunt

Feb 2, 2007  •  Post A Comment

Turner Broadcasting has agreed to pay for the costs of the state and local agencies response to its Adult Swim promotional stunt.

According to the Attorney General’s Office, Turner is reportedly prepared to pay $1 million to the city of Boston and other communities, but getting all of the legal points finalized held up an announcement, which had been expected Friday.

Glowing promotional items for “Aqua Teen Hunger Force” were suspected of being some sort of terrorist apparatus, forcing Boston law enforcement to close roads and train lines.

“The Attorney General’s Office, on behalf of the various state and local agencies who responded to the hoax device scare earlier this week, is engaged in ongoing discussions with those parties and with Turner Broadcasting and Interference Inc., regarding restitution of claims and issues raised by Wednesday’s events,” said Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley. “The company has been very cooperative with our office. At this time, we believe we are close to reaching finality in a resolution of this matter.”

Interference is the guerrilla marketing agency that planted the magnetic devices around Boston and nine other cites.

Turner executives had no comment.

Ms. Coakley also said she has begun discussions with the attorney representing two men who were arrested for distributing the devices for Interference.

“Obviously, there are a number of parties involved in these negotiations, all of whom must meet agreement on any settlement,” Ms. Coakley said. “Due to the complicated nature of these negotiations, as well as our desire to reach a conclusion that is fair and appropriate for all of the agencies involved, and is in the best interests of the Commonwealth, we will meet on Monday, and we hope to finalize amounts and arrangements.”

(Editor: Romanelli)

Turner Apologizes for Adult Swim Promotion

TelevisionWeek columnist Marianne Paskowski’s blogs about the controversy.