After only a month in the president seat, Garth Ancier is giving BBC America a complete facelift.
With increased sales and the success of shows like “The Office,” BBC’s new schedule will build on those foundations with a combination of stripped shows and themed primetime blocks that focus on a narrow demographic.
“Our new look schedule is packed with quality, original programming and big name stars that reflect everything that’s exciting about modern Britain today,” said Mr. Ancier. “And now they are presented in demographically targeted programming blocks, designed to attract audiences and advertisers.”
In the primetime program blocks, Murder Mondays will focus on psychological thrillers; Tuesday Nitro is men’s night, featuring action dramas and reality television; Wicked Wednesday is for the ladies, with scandalous dramas about wives, family and young love; Big Thursday is all about huge characters with larger than life personalities, from chefs to gossip monsters; Crime Scene Friday features procedural crime, forensic and legal drama; Supernatural Saturday enters the world of science fiction and paranormal events; and Adventure Sunday is family friendly with action dramas.
Primetime: Program blocks 8-10 p.m.
- Murder Mondays focuses on psychological thrillers like “Wire in the Blood” and “Murphy’s Law.”
- Tuesday Nitro reaches out to the male demographic with high-octane dramas and reality television, featuring “MI-5” and “Ultimate Force.”
- Wicked Wednesday is female focused with dramas like “Footballers Wives$,” “Hotel Babylon” and “Sinchroncity.”
- Big Thursday is about larger than life personalities like top chef Gordon Ramsay and gossip king Graham Norton.
- Crime Scene Friday features procedural crime, forensic and legal drama like “Whistleblower,” “The Innocence Project” and “Waking the Dead.”
- Supernatural Saturday enters the world of science fiction and paranormal events with “Jekyll” and “Life on Mars.”
- Adventure Sunday focuses on action-packed drama for all the family with shows like “Robin Hood” and “Wild at Heart,” preceded by The Brit Movie, which features various British movie talent.
10 p.m. Block
- Weekday nights at 10 p.m. aim for younger audiences with the soap “Hollyoaks.”
- Saturday nights at 10 p.m. are known as Comedy Saturday and is for those wanting to catch the latest British comedy buzz.
- Sunday nights at 10 p.m. features real-life stories and documentaries for BBC America Reveals.
- BBC World News will be there every weekday morning in three-hour block and weeknights at 7 p.m.
- Events like “The British Academy Film Awards” and “The BRIT Awards” will be broadcast, along with exclusive coverage.
Britain’s cookery shows, lifestyle programs and game shows like “Masterchef Goes Large,” “The Weakest Link,” and “How Clean is Your House” are spread across the week.