Press release from TNT, May 27, 2015:
TNT’s exclusive presentation of the 2015 NBA Eastern Conference Finals between the Cleveland Cavaliers and Atlanta Hawks – a four-game sweep by the Cavs – combined with the Sports Emmy Award-winning Inside the NBA presented by Kia to deliver the top two highest-rated programs across all of cable television each night throughout the series. Overall, the network’s Eastern Conference Finals coverage averaged 6.8 million total viewers and a 4.2 U.S. HH rating, up 7% and 5% over the network’s comparable Conference Finals game telecasts last year, based on Nielsen Fast Nationals.
Last night’s final game of the series – won decisively by the Cavaliers, 118-88 – averaged 6.3 million total viewers and a 4.0 U.S. HH rating, the most-viewed and highest-rated sports program of the day across all of television. The telecast peaked with 7.5 million total viewers and a 4.8 U.S. HH rating from 10-10:15 p.m. ET. Locally, the Cavs/Hawks telecast earned a 35.9 in Cleveland – TNT’s highest rating on record for a Cavs game in the metered market – and a 9.0 in Atlanta.
Additional ECF highlights:
- Sunday’s Game 3 – with an average of 7.8 million viewers and a 4.7 U.S. HH rating (and peak of 10.5 million total viewers and a 6.3 U.S. HH rating from 11:15-11:30 p.m.) – delivered the most-viewed and highest-rated program of the day across all of television (cable and broadcast);
- According to Nielsen Social, each of the four games ranked as the most-discussed program of the night across all of television (cable and broadcast) on Twitter;
- The Cavaliers/Hawks series generated nearly 280 million social media impressions for content published across Turner’s NBA on TNT and NBA TV accounts via Facebook and Twitter, up 108% over the comparable game windows last year;
- Live streaming for the four games across digital screens – including Turner’s TV Everywhere platforms – is up 74% in live stream starts, 71% in total minutes consumed and 56% in uniques over last year;
- Live video starts via TNT Overtime for the series are up 130% compared with the corresponding Conference Finals coverage last year.
Source: Nielsen Media Research, based on Live + SD data stream for dates of the 2015 NBA Playoffs and the Eastern Conference Finals for the (04-19-2015 -05-26-2015 vs. 04-20-2014 – 05-30-2014). Competitive cable network claims based on Nielsen Arianna Metered Market ratings for 05/20/2015 (prime daypart only). Nielsen Social ranking for 05-26-2015. TVE data: Online TVE Live Stream Starts, Users by Quarter Hour (rounded based on actual game time) from Omniture SiteCatalyst; Mobile TVE Live Stream Starts, Users based on program title in BANGO. Total TV Minutes are based on Nielsen Live + SD with a 1 min qualifier.