Press release from ABC, Sept. 28, 2017:
ABC Wednesday Prime (8-11pm – 5.8 million and 1.5/6 in AD18-49): ABC ranked #2 on season premiere Wednesday in Adults 18-49 (1.5/6-tied w/CBS) to an Empire-driven Fox, beating NBC’s premieres by 15% (1.3/5). ABC’s Modern Family ranked as Wednesday’s #2 TV show, coming within 3-tenths of Empire’s premiere in Adults 18-49 (2.1/8 vs. 2.4/10). In addition, ABC’s 8pm Wednesday lead-off The Goldbergs (1.8/8) beat out all 6 of the CBS and NBC premieres/debuts on the night, outdelivering CBS’ Survivor (1.7/7), Seal Team (1.5/6) and Criminal Minds (1.3/5), as well as NBC’s The Blacklist (1.1/5), Law & Order: SVU (1.4/5) and Chicago PD (1.3/5). Each of ABC’s Wednesday comedies returned ahead of their L+SD results for their season finales in May.
- At 8pm opposite Fox’s Empire, ABC’s The Goldbergs opener took 2nd in Adults 18-49 (1.8/8), beating CBS’ Survivor in the half-hour by 6% (1.7/8). The Goldbergs was up from its May finale by 15% in Total Viewers and by 29% in Adults 18-49, delivering its best results since March topping its final 8 original telecasts last season with young adults – since 3/29/17 and 3/1/17, respectively.
- At 8:30pm against the second half hours of Empire and Survivor, ABC’s Speechless topped NBC’s The Blacklist premiere in the half-hour by 27% in Adults 18-49 (1.4/6 vs. 1.1/4). Speechless grew over its May finale by 11% in Total Viewers and by 17% in Adults 18-49, delivering biggest audience since since February- since 2/22/17.
- At 9pm, ABC’s Modern Family won its half-hour among Adults 18-49 (2.1/8), dominating Fox’s Star premiere by 11% (1.9/7), CBS’ Seal Team debut by 40% (1.5/6) and NBC’s L&O: SVU opener by 50% (1.4/5). Modern Family surged over its May finale by 11% in Total Viewers and by 24% in Adults 18-49, earning its top numbers since mid-February – since 2/15/17 and 2/8/17, respectively.
- At 9:30pm, moving from Tuesday last season to Wednesday this season, ABC’s American Housewife ran neck and neck for #1 in its slot with Adults 18-49 (1.6/6) with Star (1.7/6), beating the second half-hours of CBS’ Seal Team (1.5/5) and NBC’s L&O: SVU (1.4/5). American Housewife shot up from its May finale on Tuesday by 27% in Total Viewers and by 33% in Adults 18-49, matching its highest rating in nearly 1-year and topping its last 13 originals in Adults 18-49 – since 10/18/16.
- In the 10 o’clock hour, ABC’s Designated Survivor sophomore season premiere is projected to win the hour once TV Playback is included. Setting TV playback records throughout its freshman season run, ABC’s Designated Survivor closed out last season as TV’s #1 10 o’clock series in Adults 18-49 (2.9/11 in Live + 7 Day). In fact, the ABC freshman drama was the 2016-17 season’s top gainer in TV playback among Adults 18-49, shooting up by +142% in L+7 over its L+SD rating. Designated Survivor grew 8% from its Live + Same Day May finale in Total Viewers (5.5 million vs. 5.1 million) and held exactly even in Adults 18-49 (1.1/5), drawing its biggest audience since March – since 3/15/17.