11:15 a.m., Pacific Time, on Dec. 17, 2013–Editor’s Note: Regarding this story, CBS News has told TVWeek there is "no truth" to the Politico story that Lara Logan and Max McClellan are set to return to "60 Minutes" early next year.
Two journalists who were put on leave by CBS News because of a discredited "60 Minutes" report are set to return to the show early next year.
Politico reports that correspondent Lara Logan and producer Max McClellan, who were behind the program’s high-profile screwup on the Benghazi story, have started booking camera crews for news packages, and they could return as early as January. A spokesman for the show said a specific date hasn’t been set.
The pair took leave after an Oct. 27 report cited a security contractor who claimed to be present and active during the Sept. 11, 2012, raid in Benghazi, but reports later contradicted his claims. Logan apologized and the show retracted the story.
“Despite public criticism and internal frustrations among some members of the ’60 Minutes’ team, CBS News Chairman and ’60 Minutes’ executive producer Jeff Fager decided to stand by Logan," the story reports. "Earlier this month, he held a meeting with CBS News staff in which he defended he 42-year-old journalist, saying that as EP he was ultimately responsible for failing to catch the mistake."