A reality TV star appeared in court Monday to enter a guilty plea to a charge of driving while impaired. The New York Times reports that Bartolo “Buddy” Valastro Jr., known as the “Cake Boss” for his TLC reality show, entered the plea following his arrest last month in New York City.
Valastro will not be allowed to drive for three months as a result of the plea deal, the story reports, which could make it difficult for him to visit his expanding empire of bakeries across the country. He also received a $300 fine and was ordered to sign up for a course about drunken driving.
“Mr. Valastro, 37, spent a night in jail on Nov. 13 after being pulled over by officers who saw him driving erratically in a yellow 2014 Corvette on 10th Avenue near 32nd Street just after 1 a.m.,” the story reports. “He was heading home to New Jersey after a business dinner, his lawyer said. Officers took him to the station where his blood-alcohol level was measured at 0.09 percent, just above the legal limit.”
Following Monday’s appearance in court, Valastro expressed remorse and indicated he had learned a lesson. The Times quotes him saying: “One is too many, and I will never get behind the wheel of a car again if I have a drink, even if I have a sip.”
Valastro, whose image as an upstanding family man has been a part of his appeal, also apologized for the incident via Twitter to his family, friends and fans.
The Times report adds: “Mr. Valastro’s lawyer, Peter Gerstenzang, said that his client could have fought the charges and had a fair chance of winning an acquittal, but that he chose not to because it would send the wrong message to his family and fans. ‘That’s not him,’ Mr. Gerstenzang said. ‘The hardest thing for him was explaining this to his kids. I think morally he had to take that plea.’”