After the hackers behind an attack on Sony Pictures threatened violence at theaters, the studio has canceled the New York premiere of “The Interview,” Bloomberg reports.
As previously reported, the hacker group believed to be behind the recent Sony attack threatened a 9/11-style attack on movie theaters showing the movie, which is a fictional story about a U.S. TV crew hired to assassinate North Korea’s leader.
Sony canceled the Dec. 18 premiere at New York’s Sunshine Cinema, Bloomberg notes.
Following the threat, Sony told exhibitors that they may pull the film from theaters. Carmike Cinemas, which owns stakes in more than 2,000 screens, said it won’t show the film, according to the report.
The hackers are trying to prevent distribution of the film, Sony’s attorneys said. Sony will still release the film and will support whatever decision movie theaters make regarding the film, the story adds.
“We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time,” the hackers wrote, referring to movie theaters showing the film. “(If your house is nearby, you’d better leave.)”
Bloomberg adds: “The threats against cinemas have broader implications because they typically are located inside or near shopping malls.”
Representatives from Regal Entertainment, AMC Entertainment and Cinemark Holdings didn’t respond to requests for comment, the article notes.